Dedicated Outlets - The Latest Recommendations

This topic has received a lot of attention over the years, but I'm having trouble pulling all the pieces together so that I can communicate to the electrician exactly what it is I'd like to have done.

I'm hoping to add two separate, 20 amp lines for my audio equipment, and since we are having our roof redone, this presents an ideal window for a project like this.

The service panel is on the lower level of the house near an outside wall, and the lines would come up the wall, travel across the space above the ceiling and under the roof (roughly 12 inches), and then down an inner wall to a room on the upper level.

I'd like to know what type of wire is best to use (the total distance from panel to outlets is about 75 feet), how it should be attached to the service panel, and what type of outlets are recommended.

I recall seeing advice in the forums to use twisted wire to reduce hum and EMI, and not to have the two runs too close to each other.

Any advice for specifying specific materials, and communicating with a non-audiophile electrician would be greatly appreciated!

And I'm hoping Jea48 and other knowledgeable members will chime in with either sage advice, or links to relevant sections of past discussions.  Perhaps we can make this thread a starting point for others contemplating similar projects.
rel
While awaiting @Jea48’s response (and I agree that he is always superb on these issues), here’s what I did, within code in Austin. recently.
Subpanel off main panel- mainly to give me more room for breakers. I installed a big outdoor isolation transformer, but you don’t have to do that. The output of the transformer was run through 4 gauge feeder wires to another subpanel near the room upstairs. (Without the transformer in the middle, you will probably still want a subpanel with a copper buss bar near the room which I believe is why the heavy gauge wire was used as a feeder). I didn’t use "audiophile" wire from the system subpanel to the outlets- just 10 gauge Romex. I learned from past experience that these have to be spaced apart, because if they are bundled, current or electrical noise on one of these runs can affect the others.
You have to figure out where you want the outlets for the dedicated lines. I didn’t use fancy $400 receptacles, but Albert Porter’s medical grade Hubbell 20 amp receptacles.
I had my electrical contractor pull a permit- they took care of all of that.
I’m sure there are other questions-- issues like which side or phase of the 120 volt legs from a 240 volt system- balancing it for load is normal- the theory is you want the system on the side that doesn’t have the noisy appliances. (This is less of an issue with the isolation transformer).
Grounding- all must come back to the main household ground. JEA can speak to the value or downside of additional grounding rods. You can’t really run a ground that is not in some way connected back (bonded may be the term of art) to the main household ground and electrical service. It is worth having the electrician check your current grounding set up, and how the current service panel is wired, just to make sure what’s already there is in order, so it doesn’t impair what you add. Dedicated lines are not really fully isolated from the main household electrical system, but help- you aren’t suffering current draw or noise from other appliances, lighting, etc. on the same branch. However, in my last system, there were certain low voltage fixtures elsewhere in the house, and certain appliances, that could generate a low level hum or noise despite the dedicated lines. Simple solution- don’t turn those on when you are listening.
I’m sure others, including Jea, can add more, or clarify or correct anything I’ve said. I’m not an electrician, but that’s a short version of what I know. Good luck.
What about feeding the sytem in totally independent fashion off a generator ? Sorry, if I asked nonsense.
I'm going to leave the wiring suggestions to the professionals, jea48, almarg, and others.

As far as AC outlets are concerned, that's a very subjective area and there are many good products available depending on how much money you want to spend.

I totally agree that for the money Albert Porter’s outlets sold on Audiogon are very good and priced very reasonably. Due to the makeup of them and the cryogenic treatment I find that they sound better than store bought off the shelf AC outlets (that's another area of disagreement). I still own several of Alberts outlets.

After trying a dozen of different audiophile grade outlets I finally settled on my current outlets which is the Furutech GTX-D Rhodium (R) outlet. I own five of them and  am very appy with there sound.
+1 Furutech GTD-D Rhodium outlets.

I am using these in my dedicated theater room and very pleased with the sound. Yes, they are expensive but well worth the price. Also they don’t damage the coating on your male AC plugs.

If you going by the code, 12 gauge Romex wire is designated for 20-amp circuits.

I would also recommend surge protection installed in your main breaker box, like Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Surge and AC Waveform Correction and EP-2070 ground filters.

You may speak to Chris at VH Audio about these, he is a great resource and very helpful fellow.

Good luck!

Post removed