Member's recommendations for tube amplification

Your thoughts on options to consider:

- I'd prefer SET (open to DHT but not a requirement).

- I'm not looking for overtly warm, romantic or lush options.

- Minimum power in the teens to twenties, 10W being the floor.

- Open to higher power push-pull amps, but let's limit ceiling to around 60W.

- Single ended is fine though having XLR inputs would be nice (doesn't have to be true balanced)

- I'm cool with single chassis or monos.

- I have preferences for tube types, but leaving it open ended to get broad recommendations.

- I'm currently running an all solid state system, though have had tube based systems built around ARC, BAT, Ayon, Melody, Pathos, etc.

- Preamp will be a Pass XP-20 or the Metrum Adagio DAC direct to the amp.

- I'd like to stay around 3K used but can push the budget to 6K new/used.

- Speaker sensitivity is 94dB and higher.

THANKS!
david_ten
Bill,
I believe that I'm as opened minded as you or anyone else.  At the end of the day we all have our unique listening preferences and know what we like.  I have in fact encouraged others on this forum to seriously consider the Lyngdorf 2170 for their audio systems.  

Why would I suggest a product that I have not personally heard? I did it strictly out of respect for your high opinion of it based on your happy ownership and nothing more. Having an open mind means that I can appreciate the positive experiences of other audiogon members and make others aware of them.

Yes I am very fond of lower power SET amplifiers for meeting "my" musical needs.  I have also stated clearly on numerous occasions that these types of amplifiers won't satisfy every listener.  Numerous times I've written this acknowledgement. 

Having an open mind doesn't necessitate having to always agree and have the same outcomes. 
Charles 
Agreed Charles. I do think my comment has some truth. It is for you to decide if there is a modicum of truth. We all have certain biases and bents. Goodness I have my quirks. Just good to see them sometimes. 

While I have, in this thread, cautioned against using the really low-powered triodes in single-ended topology, I am sort of in agreement with clio09 about the possibility that someone may be satisfied with the result; it all depends on the specifics, such as how easy a load the speaker is, type of music, how loud one listens, how large is the room, and most importantly, what compromises one is willing to make.  There is always compromises involved, no matter the budget or any other consideration.  If one does not highly prize extremely deep and tight bass, or if one listens mostly at modest volume levels, a SET amp might work even with speakers not designed to work well with this type of amplification.  Unless one listens to head-banging music most of the time, the average listening level will be such that one would be using less than a watt with even inefficient speakers.  So, the question is: how important to you is it that the sound system performs well for the comparatively shorter time it is asked to deliver higher volume?

When I listen to large choral works with my 6.5 watt parallel 2a3 SET (Audio Note Kageki) driving 99 db/w 8 ohm speakers, I can tell that on peaks, the sound is becoming a little bit muddled and is sounding compressed (not really getting much louder even though it should be).  But, for almost all other types of music, the amps deliver all the power I need, and given my priorities (I demand good dynamics and a full and lively sound at LOWER volume levels), the compromise is worthwhile.  The same holds with my other low-powered tube amps.

Hi Larryi,
As usual good and well written perspective.  I honestly believe that clio09 did very effectively point out the potential variables and compromise inherently present in these situations.  He clearly recognizes and described his positive experiences with lower power SET without extrapolating to make this a given outcome for everyone else. 

Maybe it's just me but I thought his reply to Bill was very well explained. 
Charles 
It was well explained and that is clear. Just not sure why he made the hybernation comment and got upset. Are folks even reading, really reading posts here anymore?