Member's recommendations for tube amplification

Your thoughts on options to consider:

- I'd prefer SET (open to DHT but not a requirement).

- I'm not looking for overtly warm, romantic or lush options.

- Minimum power in the teens to twenties, 10W being the floor.

- Open to higher power push-pull amps, but let's limit ceiling to around 60W.

- Single ended is fine though having XLR inputs would be nice (doesn't have to be true balanced)

- I'm cool with single chassis or monos.

- I have preferences for tube types, but leaving it open ended to get broad recommendations.

- I'm currently running an all solid state system, though have had tube based systems built around ARC, BAT, Ayon, Melody, Pathos, etc.

- Preamp will be a Pass XP-20 or the Metrum Adagio DAC direct to the amp.

- I'd like to stay around 3K used but can push the budget to 6K new/used.

- Speaker sensitivity is 94dB and higher.

THANKS!
david_ten
I'm not disputing Ralph's observation. I'm just saying there's too much emphasis placed on headroom in a 2-channel system. I have used low power SET amps with a variety of speakers and with the ability to measure output while music is playing could clearly see no more than 2 watts being used to achieve reasonable listening levels, without compromising sound. This using 8 - 12 watt SET amps, zero feedback.

Again, size of room, SPL level you listen to, damping factor all play a part in how much power you need to effectively drive a speaker. As per my previous example, 12 watts of SET power, zero feedback, and 6 ohm 88 dB speakers on paper would make anyone think "huge mismatch." Not the case from mine and others perspectives, include a reviewer who wrote up the system, and another reviewer who took the amps home on the spot to do a review.

Feel free to disagree. Better yet get the equipment, learn how to use it, and measure it for yourself.

I should have stayed in hibernation. Enjoy.
Dennis Had Inspire Fire Bottle HO (High Output) SEP (single ended pentode)…a bit hard to find (Ebay for new ones) but utterly worth it…bought a lightly used one some months ago and it's sort of astonishingly good, and for a point to point wired little piece of audio artwork they're relatively inexpensive ($1500 or so new). I use it with allegedly 91db speakers and rant often about it. A great amp.
"I should have stayed in hibernation "
Well clio09, as far as I am concerned you made a very good point. You correctly acknowledged the variables involved that will make each situation have possibly different outcomes.

I own speakers that are 94 dB sensitivity and 14 ohm nominal load. I have driven them with 4 different power amplifiers
100 watt PP tube amplifier 6550/KT 88.
40 watt PP tube amplifier el 34.
40 watt class A solid state amplifier (First Watt S,I,T. 2, PP version)
8 watt 300b SET amplifier .

The speakers/system sounds exceptionally well with any of the 4 amplifiers. The best sounding match "overall" of the group is when using the 8 watt SET. So Clio 09 my experiences are similar to yours and yet this won’t be the case for everyone for the various reasons you’ve already covered.

Any of the 4 power amplifiers I used would I’m sure sound very good driving the Double Impacts. Although these 4 amplifiers vary in power quantity all of them are high quality in design and implementation.  
BTW Clio09 I heard the Jack Elliano 300b SET driving the 4 ohm Horning Eufrodite speakers in the High Water Audio room at CES several years ago.  This combination filled a good sized room with beautiful sound. One of the best sounding systems of the entire show. Elliano knows how to build a superb sounding amplifier 😊. 
Charles 
Just asked a question? Really just wanted to hear your response?  Yes I have done the SET amp speaker combo numerous times with and without success. All your points are true @clio09 

Your hibernation comment seems way over the top and you did not answer my other questions? My post is quite benign and I truly wanted your perspective.  What just happened here? 
I owned two of Jacks amps. Loved his 15 watt 34 SET. In the end I needed more power for some 90db, 8 ohm speakers.

I have owned other SET amps that worked well with 92 - 95db speakers. I certainly have posted the exact additional considerations you posted over and over on this site. I simply wanted your deeper thoughts on headroom.

Not sure how you became upset, but I am genuinely sorry for that.