Member's recommendations for tube amplification

Your thoughts on options to consider:

- I'd prefer SET (open to DHT but not a requirement).

- I'm not looking for overtly warm, romantic or lush options.

- Minimum power in the teens to twenties, 10W being the floor.

- Open to higher power push-pull amps, but let's limit ceiling to around 60W.

- Single ended is fine though having XLR inputs would be nice (doesn't have to be true balanced)

- I'm cool with single chassis or monos.

- I have preferences for tube types, but leaving it open ended to get broad recommendations.

- I'm currently running an all solid state system, though have had tube based systems built around ARC, BAT, Ayon, Melody, Pathos, etc.

- Preamp will be a Pass XP-20 or the Metrum Adagio DAC direct to the amp.

- I'd like to stay around 3K used but can push the budget to 6K new/used.

- Speaker sensitivity is 94dB and higher.

THANKS!
david_ten
I failed to mention that output transformerless amps should also be under consideration,  Atmasphere did not mention this type of amp because he makes them and is careful not to plug his own products.   
OTLs are very dynamic and lively sounding.  The Atmasphere amps also fit the OP's "not looking for overly warm, romantic or lush" criteria.  His 30 watt and 60 watt amps seem like a good candidates.
In you price range check out the 10 and 40 watt Linear Tube Audio amps (both David Berning designs?).

DeKay
+1 @noromance

I picked up a pair of the Coincident Frank mkII monoblocks last month, and these have become game-changing amps for me, after owning a multitude of other amps. Perhaps the end of the line, so to speak, for me.

I am using them with my Omega Super Alnico HO speakers (97db). They are NOT the stereotypical warm, euphonic 300b type of amp, but they are rather a dynamic, fast, open amp, that sounds a lot more powerful than the 8wpc rating. I highly recommend them for efficient speakers.
The thing about the Coincident amps is that they just don't make enough power. The speaker has an efficiency (we hope; if its a 4 ohm load the situation gets worse) of 94 db. 7-10 watts is simply not enough power, especially if you consider that with an SET, the ideal speaker for a given amp will be so efficient that there is never a demand for more than about 20% of full power.

If you break this rule, the SET will sound a lot more 'dynamic' than it has any business being, due to distortion generated that the ear uses as loudness cues. The thing is, once you know that is the case, its hard to listen to a setup like that and not be aware of the distortion. So reading this may have wrecked it for you.

In short, while the *idea* is attractive, in practice an SET won't work very well with this speaker although it may sound fine at low volumes.