My jazz collection told me to get a *real* system

So I’m determined to put together my first serious analog system, having subsisted on entry-level NAD TT, integrated and phono amp for over 10 years. My tastes are very eclectic, but I’ve put together a nice jazz collection and that’s what’s really crying out. I’m looking at a budget of about $8K over the next 12-18 months. Yeah, that’s the trick: This ain’t gonna happen over night. But I’m willing to be patient with imbalances in my system as long as I’m headed in the right direction. And I’d rather go the route of buying the gear I really want for the long term rather than stop gaps and labor intensive upgrade paths etc. My life just doesn’t have room for that.

N.B.: Looking to stay SS, likely integrated+phono preamp configuration. Really just talking about the table, cart, and amplification ... speakers and ICs are OK for now.

Questions:
1) How would you divvy up the dough?
2) In what order would you buy the components?
3) Top 3 recommendations within each component category?
4) Other crucial considerations?

Appreciate the wisdom!
128x128jazztherapist
@jazztherapist Lot of great suggestions here, but as I think more about your situation it strikes me that you're kind of flying blind (listening blind?) on this project. You say that you'd like to move up to a better/more resolving system, but it's also pretty clear that you haven't heard many good systems lately. Brick and mortar is not the way to check out a lot of high end options.

Consider attending an audio convention so that you can actually hear some of what's actually available these days at various prices.  Attending AXPONA or RMAF is a fairly low cost way of educating yourself --- certainly it is cheaper than buying an expensive component or two, only to find out that they're not really what you wanted.

Good luck! 
Goheelz, I can’t think of a more efficient method to hear multiple audio products and developing a feel for what is available and some idea of how they sound. I've attended AXPONA, RMAF and multiple CES and these experiences were very worthwhile. 

Show conditions can had some shortcomings but I am unaware of a more viable way to gain exposure to a wide array of equipment. Some rooms will have exceptional set ups and sound very impressive. Broad exposure to what’s out there is advantageous.
Charles
The Bay area is one of the best places to be able to actually listen to potential purchases, and if you're willing to drive up to Portland, you can expand that experience. I love jazz with the right headphones, with the right speakers, with the right amp, but once one thing isn't doing it, I do not love jazz. I'm a digital source guy mostly and can't comment on your source, but I'd spend some time with speakers, and if a shop agrees - make an appointment and bring your own amp in! 

It might even be worthwhile to, wherever appropriate, make a post about your intentions and see if locals would be willing to invite you over to share their systems. We all know we'd love to have someone care about the little details. 
Thanks, willsw. I'm still a somewhat new transplant from Chicago and I have no idea how to go about finding audiophile and jazz kin. I'd love to find some folks willing to show off their gear. I'd be happy to bring some vinyl.
I would echo considering a tube preamp but, then again, I have a lot of tubes in my system (phono stage, preamp, and monoblocks).

The problem with used is that until you have listened to a LOT of different brands, you are really buying stuff blind (or deaf...). Reading other people's opinions is of limited use as we all 'hear' (i.e. interpret music) differently. 

Building a synergistic system (i.e. where all the components compliment one another) is an art. 

Finding kindred spirits can be done by posting notices on forums such as this one, or reaching out to any local jazz societies.

Good luck in your journey. And remember - it's all about the music, not the gear. 

And having fun!