Best universal disc player that has great audio reproduction?

I was flirting with the idea of replacing my separate BluRay player and my Classe cd player with a all in one universal player.
The movie portion is used sparingly but I do have a fair collection of bluray and dvd discs so as long as a decent performer in that region that will be good enough.
The crunch obviously is in the audio reproduction.
Recommendations for a true universal player leaning towards audio on a budget of approx. 2k used.
Thank you
128x128uberwaltz
Hi uberwalz,

Keep an eye out for used MW 105's. Usually less expensive than the mod itself on an existing player and sellers usually throw in other goodies (tubes, better umbilical cord, etc).

Santa may need to talk with his banker if the right deal comes along. ;)   

Dave
I have a pricey playback design mps-5 in my main system which is better than the oppo 105 in my second system BUT costs way more.

I recently upgraded the interconnect used with the oppo to my integrated amp and that made a big difference. The Oppo was a little lean bit flat even played thru my VAC amp and Harbeth speakers HOWEVER upgrading to Synergistic Research atmosphere level IV interconnect gave a more liquid larger warmer sound yet retaining the details.
I also upgraded my speaker cables to SR Atmosphere as well as atmosphere HC power cable for my amp.....now big Soundstage TOO

My point is the Oppo can sound great with right cabling so would wait to mod it until after you try that first
As with any other component (cords/cables make a significant difference). The margin of improvement  (large) will remain the same between the stock Oppo and the MW Oppo or the C5xeMP with the same improved cabling.

Owner/fan of SR cables and cords, but spending $2-4k on a PC or an IC for a stock Oppo vs the same/less for the MW mod is just plain bad advice IMO.

Off topic, but try the Cerious Graphene speaker cables compared to the Atmosphere Level 4 before the latter’s return period has expired. You may be shocked and your wallet fatter for the effort.

Dave
I tried the cerious and its not a serious contender....SR much better....Cerious is good just not able to make the Oppo.shine and wont do an ayre or mps-5 justice either

I bought the SR cabling used so not 2K-4K closer to half price...fact of matter dont buy anything new unless dealer or store gives exc discount

I would rather have the oppo and a great power cable and IC than a pricey digital player and budget cabling since dac get better yearly why spend a lot...BUT actually first treat the room with the speaker and amp you want and then TRY oppo with SR cabling is scary good for high res files and sacd not brickwalled cds
How did you use speaker cables on the Oppo? My recommendation was for the Cerious Graphene speaker cables only. I too use SR ICs and power cords.

Still bad advice vs the MW Oppo mod. Have you heard that too? I have.

I had and have no hopes of reaching you but would like to see uberwaltz make the best decision. Adding power cords and ICs that cost as much as his player is.....bad advice. Save that for later when his source is top drawer.

Dave