Are future improvements in Amp/PreAmps slowing to a crawl?

don_c55
I never said the amps were exceptional, but that the paper put together the formula.

I am unaware of any other document before his paper that put together all the components that would become known as the SS formula. If there are, please share.

High distortion SS amps were no longer passable as hi-fi.

I have no idea what "frequency overload" means. Explain?
@dlcockrum

Yeah, you are not the only one! Apparently Carver did not have any PC's to do Monte Carlo simulations. It took him years to figure out the problems, AFAIK, related to switching voltages far too fast in the power supply, causing dead shorts.

Best,

E
@inna 

Why would a respected tube amp designer want to play with something very different?
To see what is possible.

Nelson Pass sold a kit very briefly that employed an output transistor known as a Static Induction Transistor or SIT. This was and so far is the only transistor type ever made that had the linearity of triodes and even had a soft clipping characteristic- so it should be possible using them to make a solid state amp that sounds exactly like a tube amp. Sony made them back in the 1970s for their Vfet amps. Nelson made a kit using them and you can bet that I wanted to know what that sounded like so I bought a kit.

Why would you not? is more the question!
Ralph,

I love your innovative attitude as well,And greatly look forward to your class D design.

I really enjoyed the Sit2 amp but I like my Diy sit that is push pull that uses nos Sony Vfet's.How could I not.

What we need is some new transistors directly designed for audio amplifiers and not other applications.I have no Idea what that would be but I'm sure Nelson would.

Kenny.