connect 2 different wire gauge to pos and neg speaker terminal

what happens if say Kimber kable 12 tc to pos and lowes 10 gauge grounding wire to neg side or 12 tc biwire  to pos and lamp cord to neg
chalmersiv
Chalmersiv you should try it , you will be surprise on what you hear, I myself connected four different sets of cable, with different length, I have four systems, for me this system is the most live and dynamic of all my four systems..,maybe I got lucky, but it works.....
Al, (almarg),

Thank you for your responses to my questions.

... if only a voltage, (potential), is present, an electromagnet field will exist outside of the conductor/s without there being current... Correct?
I’m not 100% certain, but I believe in that situation an electric field would be present, but not a magnetic field.
I would agree, it is an electric field not a magnetic field.

Since the amount of energy that is absorbed from the electromagnetic wave by the conductor in the fuse and converted into heat (causing it to blow if excessive) is proportional to both the energy that is being conveyed by that wave and to "the current," it is reasonable (and of course far more practical) to analyze the situation in terms of amperes and ohms, rather than in terms of joules (a unit of energy) and Poynting Vectors.

And correspondingly, since in the case of electrical signals (or power) being conducted via wires the slow moving "current" and the very fast moving electromagnetic wave go hand-in-hand (as I’ve explained), IMO it would be meaningless to think of one but not the other as being the cause of the fuse blowing.

Your second paragraph has to be the logical case. And not just for the "why" the fuse blows.
The electrical energy will be greater at 120V than at 24V for a circuit using the same 2 amp fuse for overcurrent protection.

120V x 2A = 240 watts
24V x 2A = 48 watts

240V x 2A = 480 watts

Am I correct in assuming watts is a measurement of electrical energy?

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Regarding...
Watts is a unit of power, as you of course realize. Power is a quantity that is defined at a specific instant of time, although its average value over some interval of time can of course be calculated. Energy is defined as the product (multiplication) of power and time, and can be expressed as some number of joules, as well as in various other units.
The electrical energy will be greater at 120V than at 24V for a circuit using the same 2 amp fuse for overcurrent protection.

120V x 2A = 240 watts
24V x 2A = 48 watts

240V x 2A = 480 watts
The power and the energy being conveyed to the load will of course be much greater in the 120 and 240 volt cases than in the 24 volt case. But as I’m sure you realize but others may not, the only voltage that the fuse "knows about" is the one that appears between its two terminals, which when it is not blown corresponds to the amount of current it is conducting times its resistance. In the case of audio equipment operating normally that voltage will typically be a small fraction of a volt.

If and when the fuse were to blow, however, the full 120 volts would then appear across its terminals. Although no current would be conducted then since the resistance of the blown fuse would be essentially infinite.

Relevant to all of this, it’s worth noting that in the detailed specifications that are provided by the major fuse manufacturers, such as Littelfuse and Eaton/Cooper Bussmann, the "melting point" (i.e., the point at which the fuse is nominally rated to blow) is specified as i^2 x t (e.g., amperes squared x seconds). As you of course realize, power into a resistive load = i^2 x R, and i^2 x t is therefore proportional to energy.

Best regards,
-- Al

From what I understand the movement of the current in the conductor is quite slow.... Correct?

Electric current is a flow of electric charge and not the flow of electrons.  (In fluids electric charge is carried by ions and not the electrons).  Number of electrons crossing given point defines amount of electric charge (current) passing.  Motion of electric charge is usually explained as a row of stacked balls in the tube - when you push them slowly they will move slowly but when you hit the first one with a hammer the last one will respond instantly - that's the speed of electric current (charge).  Of course there is plenty of space between electrons but "stacking" is not physical but electrical (electric charge).

As for the energy transfer on the outside of the conductor by electromagnetic wave - without it current in the wire alone would not explain energy transfer, since the same amount of electric charge comes and leaves the load (same current leaves and comes back to power supply).  Poynting vector is defined by Electric Field E and magnetic field H.  Amount of energy transferred is proportional to magnitude of both fields ExH.  Electric field is proportional to voltage while magnetic field is proportional to current.  Multiply them and you'll get the power P=V*I  (power over time is energy).  Current flowing thru the fuse causes voltage drop since fuse has resistance.  This voltage drop creates electric field across the fuse - without this voltage drop (fuse resistance equal zero) there would be no electric field and magnetic field (current) alone cannot deliver energy to fuse.  
Al,
Thanks again for your response.
Thanks, Jim. Regarding...
Watts is a unit of power, as you of course realize. Power is a quantity that is defined at a specific instant of time, although its average value over some interval of time can of course be calculated. Energy is defined as the product (multiplication) of power and time, and can be expressed as some number of joules, as well as in various other units.
Well I knew watts is a unit of power and I somewhat understood energy and joules. But I guess I didn’t understand the real differences between the two. I do have a better understanding now thanks to you Al.

120V x 2A = 240 watts
24V x 2A = 48 watts

240V x 2A = 480 watts
The power and the energy being conveyed to the load will of course be much greater in the 120 and 240 volt cases than in the 24 volt case. But as I’m sure you realize but others may not, the only voltage that the fuse "knows about" is the one that appears between its two terminals, which when it is not blown corresponds to the amount of current it is conducting times its resistance. In the case of audio equipment operating normally that voltage will typically be a small fraction of a volt.
Quote:
"But as I’m sure you realize but others may not, the only voltage that the fuse "knows about" is the one that appears between its two terminals, which when it is not blown corresponds to the amount of current it is conducting times its resistance."

" times its resistance."

I have not ever heard it explained that way before. I honestly have never measured a voltage across the end caps or blades of a good fuse. A blown fuse on the other hand yes, as you stated.

I have measured a slight voltage drop across the fuse holder clips, mostly cartridge fuses. A VD across the fuse holder clips indicates poor contact pressure and or corrosion, poor surface area between the fuse caps and fuse holder clips.

The only fuse I have on hand is a 4 amp slow blow fuse. I have an older model Fluke 87 True RMS multimeter and I checked for resistance across the fuse link end caps.
With the meter set on ohms auto first touching the two probes together the meter reads 000.01 ohm. I got the same exact reading checking the fuse. LOL, I even reversed the fuse and got the same reading. (You know who that was for) I have read posts of guys that buy audio grade fuses that say they do indeed measure a resistance across the fuse link end caps.

What you said above does make sense though.

I have a good basic understanding how the electromagnetic wave thingy works, I just need learn the lingo better how to express it.

Me thinks when talking about electrical power issues and electrical safety codes, like NEC, I will stick with the old school way I was taught and have a good understanding of. Besides that is what the majority of people understand. Especially electricians.

As for ICs and speaker cables the old school theory just doesn’t fit the reality of how the audio signal travels from the source to the load.

Thanks again Al for all your help,
Jim