Will a sub woofer mess up my tone and phase aligned speakers

Hi, I posted recently about my vandersteen 1ci 's. Someone suggested I add a sub woofer.  Well I've found a nice 2nd hand Martin logan grotto (not i) (comments welcome).

My question is: will the addition of a 3rd party sub work at cross purposes to the time & phase alignment of my 1ci 's?

~Jim
128x128jimspov
Don't be afraid…you simply move the sub around until it sounds good to you. Not rocket surgery, not difficult unless you want it to be. Also, music is not a test tone, so adjust the damn thing from time to time.

a 60hz FREQ is 16 feet long. 1/4 wavelenght is 4 feet

As a rule, path length differences of less than 1/4 wavelength do not need to be corrected (time-aligned).

So, if the distance from listening position to main speakers and subwoofer are less than 1m different and the crossover point is below 80Hz, no correction needed.

I concur with audiogroover.
Call/email John Rutan at Audioconnection (that is his ID on Agon, too).
He can give you the best info regarding Vandy speakers.
You can also call and leave a message at Vandersteen. 
Mr. V. usually calls back the next morning- but, have all your questions ready, as he can be a bit brusque. (Well, he does have a company to run).
Bob
I used to have 1Cs, and I added a pair of 2Wq subs. They did not mess up the phase or tone, but the in-line filter was less than fully transparent. I later upgraded to the battery biased Vandersteen crossovers, and the transparency was restored. The Vandy 2Wq is specifically desigend not to introduce phase issues with the main speakers.
Agree that Vandy 2wq sub is the way to go.  Once you have the sub dialed in you won't want to listen without it anymore.  It's a game changer.