Phono preamp question

I'm slowly trying to upgrade my vinyl system to something that could be considered moderately decent, not necessarily high end. I have an older full feature preamp and am thinking in getting a separate phono preamp. I'm assuming the phono preamp would need to be connected to one of the line inputs. Would my preamp be the weak link if I get a good phono preamp to use with my existing preamp? Can a phono preamp be connected directly to the amplifier? FWIW, the preamp is an Adcom GTP-750. Thanks.
128x128kalali
Post removed 
I feel compelled to repeat what the others have said get a legitimate phono stage and patch it through to a regular preamp.  There are a ton of preamps to choose from you're pick you like and can afford.  I will make a specific phono stage recommendation think about a Graham Slee.   I
For the TT/cartridge you recently purchased Google "ART Pro Audio DJPRE II Phono".

This is not a cut low, and assuming that you want to ease your way into analog/LP's this is what I would choose (gave one to my Godson when they first came out and tried it with my setup).

If eventually you decide to upgrade the the deck and/or phono preamp you still have a more than decent backup phono @ hand).

DeKay

I bought a used melos 222 in the 90's because it had a fantastic phono stage. about 10 years later I bought a used sonic frontiers phono amp (for about the same price) & the difference was well worth the cost. Now this set-up is very modest compared to many on this forum but my point is that a good phono amp into a good preamp can be very satisfying for years to come. If you buy used, the investment doesn't have to be that high. 
Do those responding to this thread realize that the OP is using a TT that sells/used in the $50-$100 range with a cartridge that you can purchase new for $40?

He paid $200/locally, which if the deck/cartridge are in good shape is actually a decent deal, IMO (considering the possible shipping/damage/expense and overstated condition of a non-local deal).

Let's get real folks.

DeKay