DAC Regenerator and Reclocking Devices

Hi,
Recently I've been looking at a few different devices to upgrade my signal between my Mac and my Ayre QB 9 DAC DSD. SOtM makes a reclocking / regenerator as does Ideon Audio and IFI. The IFI micro 3.0 is apparently the newest of them and looks like a great price when compared to the SOtM tx USBultra. The Ideon 3R USB Renaissance is the more affordable and was engineered strictly for sound quality. Does anyone have experience with these devices? Also, I want to mention that I've been adding Akiko Audio tuning sticks and tuning chips and I prefer their additions so far. Some good orderly direction would be greatly appreciated. 

goofyfoot
Hi Tim, I did visit the Uptone website before posting and it remained unclear to me re: the differences between the past vs current USB Regen and the current USB Regen vs the ISO Regen (excepting the power supply in the latter case, which has two options, an switching power supply (better than the switching power supply with the USB Regen??) or a linear power supply).

Read a very positive review of the current ISO Regen (vs Schiit, etc) but the reviewer considered the upgraded LPS-1 power supply essential and even recommended one from another supplier. $175 (USB Regen) quickly becomes $325 (ISO Regen) which quickly becomes $655 with Uptone’s linear power supply, which quickly becomes ???? with another manufacturer’s power supply...

See my dilemma?

Dave

Dave,
Your dilemma seems to be the same as mine. I'm not sure however that anyone can get around suggestions for improvements when it comes to these devices. I'm leaning towards this ifi micro-iUSB 3.0 given the reviews that I've read and the claims that it does more within a single device than its competitors. However, connecting the ifi to the Up Tone linear power device would be a way of pushing the sound quality even further, as I understand it.
Thanks for the feedback goofyfoot. Let us know which was you go and your impressions.

After experiencing fantastic results with the Purist Audio Ehternet cable, I decided to go with their 30th Anniversary USB cable in lieu of a regen type gizmo (at least for now). Will report back on how that works out vs the Curious USB cable I currently prefer.

Dave
Dave,
I was clearly in error when I talked to you about the Regens. It was awhile back when I visited their web site and I obviously didn't digest their description of the ISO version properly. They do describe the newer version as a considerable upgrade. I believe you can purchase the ISO Regen as is without upgraded power supply. All I can tell you as is, even the basic USB Regen as is produces what I thought were dramatic differences to the Mac Mini. So much so, that I couldn't listen to Tidal streaming without it. You can take it to whatever limits you prefer with the upgrades. I say again, I don't think you would be disappointed with even the basic USB Regen.
Sorry for any confusion,
Tim
Hey Tim, we good. My situation is somewhat different. I use an Aurender server/renderer/streamer in lieu of a Laptop/Desktop "PC-type" source. All are computers, but the claim to fame of the former is that the storage is optimized for audio (HHDs/modem-routers feed the signal to SSDs (cache) before output), and noise is greatly reduced compared to the former. The opportunity then becomes more of modifying the sound vs (so much) eliminating noise.

The review I read of the ISO Regen claimed that it put "meat on the bones" (additional harmonic texture) to the resulting sound. This is always a good thing IME, thus my primary interest in the Regen.

You are likely experiencing the benefits of both noise reduction and additional harmonic texture in your application. Good for you!

I appreciate and value your input.

Dave