Which personal confuser for ultra high end audio, MAC, PC, notebook, tablet or desktop?

Hello all!

Existing circumstances dictate the OS must be either Windows, or MAC, only.

My daily “lots of use” desktop pc is an 32 bit XP OS Dell that was used by the Spanish Inquisition.

I’ve made minor upgrades to RAM and HDD only.

I need a new personal confuser. I’m gonna get one quite soon. I need to know going forward which platform and configuration will serve a digital sourced front end best in 2017.

That is, of course, if there is still any significant disparity between MAC and PC OS with regard to present software, or hardware limitations or other concerns.

My barely used 4 year old windows 7 Dell 64bit box never has run Office 2010 right but does enable PCM file playback via Lynx AES Exp SC and JRiver & Foobar 2K and iTunes infrequently.

I’ve only had exp with Windows machines. However, I own Apple iPad Air II and iPhone 6 S. but I’m a pretty quick study so adapting to a new OS ought not be a big deal.

I do not have a working laptop and one would be a real aid for day to day situations as well as ripping and playing files, streaming audio playing videos, and so forth.

This latest ‘new’ machine will be a daily use computer for office oriented affairs as well. Email. Correspondence. Archiving documents. Data collection. Contacts.

I’m leaning towards a MAC, but not sure which way. IMac or Ibook? Both appear as semi portable and the Imac can sport a 4 or 5K display. The display isn’t a big deal for me bit the RAM and CPU needed to support the far greater resolutions of a 4 – 5K display would be nice IMO. Computer Horse power is always a plus.

The only issue I see with the iMac, is the thing itself. It’s a big display and looks like a problem waiting to happen when wiring it up or into the LAN and audio system.

I have a Synology Disc Station NAS. The plan is to acquire a versatile DAC for DSD and Tidal playback.

Am willing to add whatever else thereafter to achieve the intended goal mentioned above. Apps, additional hardware, etc.

Your experiences and Thoughts would be most welcome.

blindjim
Jim,

I trust that my earnest attempt to respond helpfully to your post was not rewarded with sarcasm.

Dave
Dlcockrum > attempt to respond helpfully

Blindjim > Certainly not. I purposefully interjected the ubiquitous lol twice to avoid any negative connotation or untoward inference being transmitted on a personal basis.. Sorry, Dave I missed.

If indeed I take issue with someone, or some aspect on a topic, I’ll usually have no problems being quite transparent about it and not hide behind a veil of humor. I’m blunt to a fault far more than I should be so I pay attention so injuries are minimized.

Invariably on these pages someone will interject the occasion or even prerequisite need for buying pricier wires to resolve or aid some portion of the audio riddle.

The ‘sarcastic’ application was aimed squarely at the idea data lines now need to be upgraded as their performance levels have suddenly been elevated and do make a difference to the audio presentation.

Generally speaking, I can’t help but be amused by the aspect a wire everyone uses and has been using for years, decades in fact, suddenly has become a link worth considering for its attributes to sound quality and we should now cough up some less sensible money to overcome this now dreary ongoing standard.

As much hilarity and decided frustration as I gain on a personal note on the topic of wires or cables, (if preferred) making a difference, I’ve found out there is truth within this high end audio inside joke.

I’m very guilty of shelling out 4 digit money for wires. Repeatedly. Once I saw wires actually made a difference by personal trial and errors. I’ve written more than a little on these pages by reviews of past cables and makers what I felt their fingerprints on the audio production amounted to.

Wire makers as I call them, play the shell game with basic elements of electricity to evolve their inter-connects, spkr wires, etc. merely juggling capacitance often has the most obvious influence. Termination, seems the second most noticeable up or down tick, dialectric and metallurgic materials too alter noticeably the sonic demonstration.

IMHO - Making mention of the particular upscale CAT cabling used is indeed a plus.

Jim,

Thanks for the very nice and thorough response.

There is so much snarkiness and ridicule on this forum by the eternally cognitively cynical toward those that are willing to actually try "fringe" products, simply trust their ears, and honestly report their experiences in an effort to share successes (and failures) that I have become overly-sensitive.

I try to only post opinions based on my actual experience in my system and my room & avoid condemning or promoting products that I have no experience with, excepting a few where I address certain posters that exceed reasonable limits of tolerance regarding misinformation, dishonesty, or just plain stupidity.

Your humor, style, and approach are refreshing. Keep rockin!

Dave
Nice to see this respectful resolution in the forums!  Virtual hugs all around.

Now, back to audio obsessions...
Jim to answer your question about the 5ghz network the Lightning DS setup process takes you through that and is available for both IOS and Android systems, I used an ipad mini essentially as a remote control.