Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
I believe this is the second time that someone has cited that article in Audiocircle only to be reminded that all the principles are right here on this thread.  I am the guy who gave Thuchan (aka Eckart) the chip for his TT101.  I gave him two, in fact, because up to that time I had no idea whether the ones I bought from Hong Kong would actually work. (They look correct, but who knew???)  Sadly, I do not have an inexhaustible supply, and I prefer to keep a few for my own TT101.  However, the good news is that you too can purchase the chip from Hong Kong.  I think the part number is "SC3042A", but do not take my word for it; the part number is engraved on the black surface of the top of the chip.  If you need one, search for that part on Alibaba, and you will soon have so many offers to sell that you won't know what vendor to choose.  I chose the one who had the best command of English.  Those vendors never give up.  Even 5 years or so later I still get emails from some of them. By the way, my TT101 did not need a new regulator chip. It's still running on the original.

By the way, there are several other chips in the TT101.  I don't know what they do.
Hi Guys
yes - we are living dangerously!
My experience at present thus far...
I found a QL-10 for sale - from Columbia - very odd I know.
The seller was utterly genuine I might add. He showed it working in perfect order - i.e. stop/start pitch control etc.
That said he was a bit of a plonk insofar as I told him to remove the platter for sending. sadly he did not do this.
On receipt UPS carried out the kind of delivery from 'Ace Ventura Pet Detective'. The lid was smashed, the headshell was snapped off (the least of my problems). The platter had not been removed for transport. The led's go on - but the platter ain't rotating. In addition to this I think transportation with the platter on may have damaged the motor/bearing...
I am convinced that customs open-end the box up rather brutally as it looked like the box has been opened.
I am liaising with Wilkinsons HiFi in Lancashire UK to give it a going over - I can live with the lid, arm, and electrolytic - but - the motor... oh well.
You gotta speculate to accumulate I guess - LOL (whilst weeping miserably)
However, the good news is that you too can purchase the chip from Hong
Kong.  I think the part number is "SC3042A",
good notice

@lohanimal   What does "plonk" mean?
Lohanimal,

does the platter spin if you turn it by hand ?  if not then possibly it may only need a upwards or downwards adjustment on the screw at the bottom of the bearing, this is fairly easy to do.

Sorry for your bad luck

Good Listening

Peter