Experience with Bluesound Node 2 use with external DAC

I am very impressed with the Node 2.  So far my use of the Node has been with it's built in DAC.  It sounds great.  Since I don't own an outboard DAC I have had no other choice but to use the Node's DAC.  It is hard to fault it's DAC at any price much less the $500 price of the Node.  That being said, I realize there are alternatives out there than can improve upon the built in DAC.  I am at a point now where I am curious to hear what an external DAC may have to offer in terms of sound quality.  For those of you who are running a Node through an external DAC, what would you recommend and what type of improvement have you experienced vs DAC in the Node.
randyhat
@gdnrbob - I just re-read your comments from an earlier post

As, I said, when Johnny played music first through the Bluesound and then the Codex, the difference was instantly perceptible. The Codex sounded alive.
On second reading I realized this was an in-store audition, which makes a whole world of difference when assessing components,
- mainly because in the store they tend to use the stock power cable/supply that comes with the component.
- why? mainly because the do not know any better most of the time
- or they do not have the time to experiment, especially with lower priced components
-  PLUS - they want you to buy the better sounding, higher priced component if they can demonstrate it "effectively"

So based on my observations while using best quality power cords on everything - I'm left wondering if the improvements of the Codewx would be as noticeable if good cables were used on both these units?
- I'm sure the Codex would have still sounded better, but having good cables on the Node 2 might have narrowed the distance between them?

I've come to a point where I take my cables with me to audition a product.

Just a couple of weeks ago I took in a power cable to assess the Bluesound Pulse Mini... 
- with the stock cable it was "OK sounding" but the bass was a little muddy and distorted on a couple of bass heavy tracks
- with the better power cable there was a whole new level of clarity and control - the bass tightened up considerably and the distortion was no longer present either - it sounded like a much better unit
- and the look on the sales person's face when he heard the improvement was pretty amusing also.

Even when I purchased my latest speakers I took my amp, power cable and speaker cables to the store - I was happy - and they got their sale :-)

I've found that improving the cables and power supplies of components in the "budget end" of the spectrum can reap some very surprising and pleasing benefits and elevate their performance considerably 

Whereas components that have better power supplies do not provide as much of a significant improvement because they are already operating close to their highest level.

But - all components do benefit from great cables. 

I'm not knocking audio stores and their sales approach, because most stores I go into are not even aware of the benefits of great cables - after all,  they are there to sell products - not play with them.

There are stores that sell great cables, but trying to sell a $400 power cable for a $600 component might seem absurd - to most people :-O

So, it's up to people like me to try stuff that may sound a little "off the wall"

Just tryin' to maximize my investment :-)

Cheers

@williewonka
I don’t know what cables were used, but I do recall that the cabling was not cheapo stuff. Besides, we’re talking about AudioConnection, Johnny has given me way more advice and help than I have given him sales.
When I say I heard a distinct improvement using the Codex over the onboard Bluesound DAC, I meant it.
And, it is not to say that changing power cords won't aid in sound reproduction.
B
Randyhat,

Bluesound Node 2 plus Nordost power cable and Acoustic Zen Matrix interconnects is what I have installed and it's the ideal player for me. Not to mention the interface the Node 2 has. It's the best product out there period. 
I have a very revealing system: Rogue 99 magnum preamp, Pass Labs XA30.8, Goldenear Tritons One, with sources fed clean AC via a PS Audio P5. The slightest weak link is ruthlessly revealed. I had thought my Bluesound Node 2 sounded great by itself initially, but it started to grate on me. The mids over time were harsh and the bass was not very full compared to my turntable. I suspected the built in analog section in the Node 2 was not up to snuff. After all, it's done with integrated circuits. So I picked up a used Bryston BDA-2 to fix the problem. And man does it sound awesome. The discrete class A output section in that unit is much better than the conversion in the Node 2. So yes, do yourself a favor and get a good DAC. You may not need the latest and greatest with regard to MQA and DSD. What really matters is the execution on the analog side, I believe. The BDA-2 is certainly up to the task for me for a while.
I'm fascinated to read so many rave reviews about the Bluesound.  Sounds like most folks have the Node, rather than the Vault.  Which makes me wonder where you are storing your music files, in the case of Node users.  Are you streaming music files from your computer, or from a NAS?  I have a MacBook Pro  - what's the SQ like with a Node streaming music from such a computer?  Is this done wirelessly or hardwired?  Thanks for your insights.