Speakers for Room Size

Would floorstanding speakers such as the Revel F206 or PSB Imagine T2 be overkill for a 14’10" x 16’7" living room in an apartment with 9" ceilings or would it be better to go with bookshelf speakers such as the Revel M106 or Sonus Faber 2.0.
mat4150
@mat4150,
I don’t think those speakers will overpower the room. You should be fine.
It also depends on the type of music that you listen to as bass can be a challenge. Smaller floor speakers such as Silverline prelude plus are really nice in moderate sized rooms. 
I used 40" high PSB Synchrony in a 12' x 16' living room, with a half wall on one side and the sound filled the room nicely.
You will be listening in a near-field setup, since many full-range speakers need to be pulled forward from the front wall for best imaging.
You'll need some type of acoustic treatments that will fit aesthetically in a living room. For instance, I have a tapestry on the wall behind me, drapes for the window, large oriental rug and some comfy furniture to absorb and diffuse standing waves. Also, as stated above, you most likely will need to control the bass.

I had floor-standers in my 15 x 12 room - 8ft ceiling
- speakers were at one end on the 12ft wall.
- sofa on the 15 ft wall to the right
- open double doorway opposite sofa
- bow window behind the listening position
- book case to the right of the listener in the corner
- Hardwood floor with area rug

Two things thing that made a huge difference
- sound deadening material on top of the bookcase
- 8ft vinyl roller blind in front of the window

Both of these eliminated some very bad reflections

There was a very low frequency standing wave issue that only occurred on two tracks - everything else was fine

I had monitor speakers on stands and then went with the Gershman Acoustics Sonogram floor standing speakers, which did not overpower the room - they are really good at lower listening levels

The speakers are superb in most sized rooms as it turn out - my new room is much bigger 16 x 40 with 7.5 ft ceiling

Unfortunately, sound is a fickle beast - no two speakers sound the same or suffer the same issues.

I would suggest trying a speaker with a front bass port or a port that directs the bass downwards - those should minimizes bass related issues.

My monitor speakers had a rear port, which I eventually directed downwards - a very effective.solution

The Sonograms have a large 2" x 8" port at the very bottom, so their bass performance in the smaller room, while good, still presented a small standing wave issue.

In the new room they sound superb, but the speakers are 8 ft from the wall behind them

BTW - you can get standing wave issues with most speakers - it’s more to do with room acoustics and speaker position than the speakers themselves, but the position/direction of the ports can help alleviate much of the standing wave problem

Hope that helps
I had the F208's in a room roughly that size and they sounded great....the 206's should do just fine.