XLR Question

You won't see this one every day....

I've recently converted a listening room to dual use - listening and recording.  I'm trying to use the 2 channel system as a monitor for the recording studio.

The 2 channel pre-amp is an Onkyo 5508 pre-pro (stereo mode) which has a set of stereo xlr balanced inputs available.  So, I want to take the output of my PC audio interface (Pre Sonus  Audiobox) into the Onkyo.

The Audiobox allows the PC recording system to connect to a monitor via balanced 1/4 inch trs out (phone plug). I got a trs to xlr cable and it works perfectly into a pair of active m-audio studio monitors.  However, no signal is evident when I connect the same trs-xlr cable into the Onkyo

Other than a faulty input on the Onkyo, any idea what might cause the monitors to work but not the pre-pro?

thanks in advance
martykl
Al,

I have one further question re: the Art DTI.  Have you used "one in/two out".  In my case, that would be balanced via trs out from the Audiobox into the DTI and unbalanced via RCA to the Onkyo simultaneously with balanced via either trs or XLR (they accept both connections) to the M-Audio active monitors.

There's enough utility in that arrangement (if it works) to justify the purchase under any circumstance.

Thanks again
the Onkyo 5508 you must go into the menu and turn them on or select them. Its in the sub menu. then they work fine. I own the 5508 scroll to the XLR selection elect then scroll left or right and select on
68 Pete

Thanks, but - as noted in my 2nd post - I've already done that. Still no luck.  But thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Hi Marty,

No, I’ve never tried a one in/two out application of the DTI. My application just involved converting two channels of balanced line-level audio to unbalanced, in a relatively non-critical application as I said.

I would expect that what you are proposing would function, but I’m not sure how well. For one thing you would in effect be converting the balanced inputs of the active monitors to unbalanced, since one end of the secondary winding of the DTI’s transformer for each channel would be grounded by the unbalanced input of the Onkyo. And I suppose hum issues might be another possible consequence. But if good results from that arrangement would be helpful, as you said, it may be worth gambling $60 to find out :-)

Best regards,
-- Al

Thanks so much Al.  Worst case, I'll just run the trs cable into the desktop monitors.  I can always just unplug them and replug them in the DTI and then on into the Onkyo as/when needed.