XLR Question

You won't see this one every day....

I've recently converted a listening room to dual use - listening and recording.  I'm trying to use the 2 channel system as a monitor for the recording studio.

The 2 channel pre-amp is an Onkyo 5508 pre-pro (stereo mode) which has a set of stereo xlr balanced inputs available.  So, I want to take the output of my PC audio interface (Pre Sonus  Audiobox) into the Onkyo.

The Audiobox allows the PC recording system to connect to a monitor via balanced 1/4 inch trs out (phone plug). I got a trs to xlr cable and it works perfectly into a pair of active m-audio studio monitors.  However, no signal is evident when I connect the same trs-xlr cable into the Onkyo

Other than a faulty input on the Onkyo, any idea what might cause the monitors to work but not the pre-pro?

thanks in advance
martykl
According to the manual:

Connecting a Balanced Audio Source

You can connect a balanced audio source to the AV controller’s BALANCE L/R INPUT jacks by using two XLR audio cables. To use the balanced input, you must assign it to an input selector (➔ 47). If you connect a mono source, use the BALANCE L INPUT jack and set the “Input Channel” setting to “Mono(L)” (➔ 47). The AV controller’s balanced INPUT jacks are wired as shown.

Pay attention to:   To use the balanced input, you must assign it to an input selector (➔ 47).

Looks like you need to assign that input?

Stupid question, but are you sure that assigned the XLR input to the source you are selecting?  Some of those fancy AVPs allow you to assign any physical input to a source.

I definitely assigned the balanced audio to the games input and selected games as my source for playback.  I probably should have noted that in my op
Just from a black box point of view it sounds like the Onkyo might not be working. Have you tried any other sources with it?
Hi Marty,

Just a guess, but perhaps the XLR inputs of the Onkyo are actually unbalanced, with XLR pin 3 (that would usually carry the inverted signal in a balanced signal pair) being grounded (i.e., connected to XLR pin 1 in the Onkyo). And perhaps the AudioBox device generates the non-inverted signal that ends up being provided via your adapter cable to XLR pin 2 of the Onkyo by putting its inverted output signal (that ends up being applied to XLR pin 3 on the Onkyo) through an inverter stage (such as an op amp configured as an inverter).

In that scenario the result would be exactly what you’ve found.

Also, if my speculation is correct, and given also the low 51 ohm output impedance of some or all of the AudioBox models, shorting the signal it provides on XLR pin 3 to ground might not be healthy for it if done on a prolonged basis.

Best regards,
-- Al