Speaker Isolation -- Experience with Townshend Seismic Isolation Podiums

Over the past several months the new Townshend Seismic Isolation Podiums have been receiving some interesting and positive press. Living as I do in both an earthquake zone (Pacific NW) and in a busy urban setting with a lot of rumble from construction and passing vehicles I thought these could be worth exploring for my setup. As I was not able to find a US distributor I purchase direct from the UK (via Analogue Seduction, highly recommended). I placed an online order, with follow up to confirm the size and weight of my speakers and about six weeks later they turned up on my doorstep (the platforms are made to order with loading on the cells specific to the weight of your speakers)

The Isolation Podiums are basically four load cells attached to a robust platform onto which you stand your speakers. While not cheap ($2500 for the size I needed) they are very well designed and easy to use. For example I was concerned about being able to move my 275lb Magico Q3s up onto the platforms -- actually it was easy as the platform at 20mm is lower than the speaker spikes so it was simply a matter of unscrewing each spike and shuffling the speaker across. Once onto the platforms fine leveling was easily possible by adjusting each load cell. All in all the podium system is very well designed and works exactly as intended.

But how does it sound? With several days listening experience I cannot recommend this product too highly for anyone who wants to hear the best from their speakers. My room is custom designed with a concrete slab floor so a solid surface but of course subject to external vibration. Prior to the podiums I'd been enjoying deep and dynamic bass but had occasionally felt that the sound became congested in more dynamic and complex material. With the podiums all of this clears up. First impression may be of less bass but as is typically the case this was a result of a reduction in boom and smear and instead more of the open sound of real bass (think of a bass drum as being more "whoof" than "thump" after the initial leading edge - too often the sense of large volumes of air being displaced is lost. In addition I became much more aware of all the rhythmic leading edge detail in bass guitar passages, all the little cues the bassist is putting in. Furthermore it became much easier to resolve bass alongside other instruments. Example in point "Bye Bye Blackbird" by Nancy Harms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4tQrndlFw). This opens with deep full bass which is a first test but then quickly becomes quite a crowded and in many systems overloaded mix. With the podium in place all of the instruments became much easier to separate and what had been a congested and even edgy mix became clear.

One final and unexpected change is how you can now more easily hear the recording venue. Listening at the start of recordings the sound of the room itself is a very low level mix of rumbles which (when it's present on the recording) is all too easy to lose -- the podiums help uncover this detail and create a much greater sense of real instruments in space. All in all I'd recommend you give these a try and no need to believe in voodoo to buy in to this tweak.
128x128folkfreak
Guys, anyone care to comment on how much better the Townsend Podiums might be, as against three or four pods?  It may be no one has had the chance to do a direct comparison. I use Track Audio Feet at the moment, which are also very good.

I'd like the Podiums, but they are'nt cheap, a consideration for most of us.
I've not compared the individual pods to the podiums but despite the lower price there are a couple of things I'd bear in mind

Firstly getting a set of pods under your speakers may not be easy especially as they will be pretty unstable until you have all 4 in place. Not a one man job for sure

Secondly depending on the footprint of your speaker it may be less stable on the pods than the podiums. Tall narrow speakers on pods might be worrisome. The podiums act as a wider base
@bdp24 Do the pods already have a screw hole for doing this?  I've had a hard time finding a picture of the top of the pods...  my outriggers don't have a top bolt, the spike just screws into the housing that attaches to the base of the cabinet (Coincident speakers).

thanks,
Chris

cal, each individual Pod is bolted or screwed onto a flat disc, for stability of the Pod itself. The Pods that come with the Isolation "Bar" are bolted onto that Bar, via holes in the top of the Pod. I'm assuming the Pod with bolt holes may be ordered from Townshend Audio. Hope I'm correct! 

folkfreak makes a good point, that the Podiums---with their wider-than-the-speaker footprint, will provide more stability than individual Pods merely placed under a speaker. My point was that, if one already has outriggers on their speakers---which also have a wider footprint, the Seismic Platform is not needed, only the Pods, which may be bolted onto one’s already-owned outriggers.

Seismic Bars versus Seismic Isolation Podium???

Has anyone compared the Bars vs the Podium for their speakers?

The Bars are priced lower than the Podiums.

I'm also considering the Isoacoustic Gaia I for speaker isolation. Have any that have used the Townshend products compared them with the Gaia?

Any general updates on the Podiums by members who have posted here, since it's been over a year and a half from the OP and six months since the last few posts?

Thanks.