What have I missed in the last 12 years?

I was really in to audio in my early 20s.  Starting in 2005 though, things got in the way.  I kind of lost track of where things went in the industry; got bored of reading about $1,000+ cables etc.  Married, two kids, four moves and three jobs later and now things have settled down and I'm rediscovering the joy of my stereo.  Current system:

Audio Physic Tempo
McIntosh MC202 Amp
McIntosh C15 pre-amp
Marantz CD-6005 CD Player (bought last year when my ~2000 CDP's transport went wonky)
Project Debut TT
Sansui TU-717 Tuner (rarely used)

Most (95%) of my listening is CDs, a broad mix of jazz/rock/folk/piano/vocal.  I love the vinyl sound, but don't have the collection of records to really make it the focus of my listening.  I see now that a lot more vinyl is available than in 2005.  Current room is 18' x 15' but the house is "open" floorplan so the room is more or less open to the rest of the house.  That's good and bad; good because I effectively have a much bigger "room" but bad because it limits volumes when the little ones are sleeping.

So, audiophiles--Catch me up!  When I left the hobby streaming was a joke, and most people were of the mind that (at least for reasonable prices) all-in-one CDPs were the way to go.  Fewer cables, synced clock rates etc.  Now I see lots of lower cost DACs out there.

Things I like about my current system?  Imaging is good, tonal balance is good.  What it lacks?  Not the most involving at lower SPLs, lacks low end punch.  A bit of a haze and lack of transparency.  Could use more "bloom"?

I'm thinking of resetting the whole system and going with low power tubes and high efficiency single drivers.  Thinking that with my SPL limits, might give me what I'm looking for.  
rhum_runner
Be prepared for sticker shock. Sorry but that is a fact these days. Good luck.
@rhum_runner,

You picked a very good time to take 12 years off from the hobby. I think a lot of concepts have solidified over that time and consequently you are likely to have saved a lot of money that you may have otherwise wasted.

So, here we go......

First, it's confirmed. Vinyl is here to stay, at least for the near future. Keep your record collection and add to it when you feel like it. There are lots more new releases, re-releases, re-masters, etc now than there was 12 years ago. Go enjoy National Record Store Day next spring and go enjoy searching through the bins at one or more of the new record stores that have likely popped up in your city.

Second, digital music streaming has become mainstream and quality digital music hardware has exploded. It is available at all price-points. Decent sounding USB DACs can be had for as little as $99, but you can also pay 10's of thousands of dollars for top-tear DACs. Digital streamers, like the $499 Bluesound Node 2 can be used to stream your music that you rip to a hard drive or NAS, as well as stream from a service like Tidal, Dweezer, Spotify, etc. For $20 a month on Tidal you can stream unlimited high bitrate digital audio. There's no way you could have ever bought as much music for only $20 a month 12 years ago, and the streams sound good.

BTW, your existing system is perfectly fine and it will be costly to get anything better. Just do some homework on streaming and ripping digital audio and add to your current system. After you've done that, decide if it's important to upgrade/change your hardware and decide how much of an investment it is worth to you. 

It's a really good time to be an audiophile or music lover. Enjoy your newly re-found hobby and ENJOY THE MUSIC. And get those kids involved.........
With both embracers and detractors; Class D amplification has gone from an audiophile novelty to fairly common with a variety of manufacturers to choose from.
Get some Tekton Design speakers, and an Yggdrasil dac. They will change your world for the better.