South Florida - join in and make a REAL effort!

Ok, I have browsed the periodic threads for the Miami and other South Florida areas for audio clubs.  The interested parties are out there, but the thread posts are too few and far between, not to mention they span a few threads.

So, I will promise to act as the ring leader and gather the info and try to get something going!  If you are interested, post here, tell us your city and e-mail.  I'll make a list and if we get some traction, I will send out an e-mail to any interested parties so we can all make something happen!

In another post I was putting out a feeler to see if there are any vinyl fans who would like to share the cost of a high end record cleaner.  That can be something that some local vinyl fans may be interested in.

I would be happy to connect and hang out with other music nuts from time to time.  So, let it begin!

- Mark Tomaras mark (at) marktomaras (dot) com
marktomaras
Thanks Nkonor, coincidentally, I am also from Chicago!  Hopefully something interesting will arise from this effort.

I am not looking for much, just a new acquaintance or two who would enjoy getting nerdy about audio.  It would be fun to host some people at my home for a high dB music session, and it would be great to hear other systems as well. Could be very educational.

i recall a special moment back in the mid 90's in Chicago. I was in college at the time. I wandered into Audio Consultants in Evanston. I informed the salesman that I was a poor college student who would mind drooling over the equipment, and that I didn't want to take up any of the staff's time.  The man told me to forget about that, he said he wasn't busy at all, and  he was happy to assist in blowing my mind.

He led me into a room with a pair of B&W  Nautilus Speakers bi-amped with a pair of Mark Levinson amplifiers for each speaker. He asked me what I'd like to hear, and with out hesitation, I requested Dark Side Of The Moon.  I don't recall if it was vinyl or digital, I only remember the crazy looking speakers and the huge Levinson amplifiers.  Mind blown, seeds of addiction planted!  
Mark,

Same here,just looking for a couple of audio buddies. Are you from Chicago with family here? If you come home for the holidays; your welcome to give a call. Classic rock&roll guy myself.
Audio Consultants is a good dealer and Chicago does have a fair number of others. 
Good luck with your effort. 

I have been watching this thread with interest, living just outside of Chicago and having it seems just inherited a house in Tampa. I am curious of Audio stores around south Florida. 

I also use to frequent Audio Consultants in Evanston back in the late 1980's and early 90's. I liked to check out their used gear shelf in the front of the store. But I would not call them a serious stereo store. They (at least at that time) used switch boxes and didn't set anything up properly. The Audio Consultants in Hinsdale is still this way. I remember the first time I heard a pair of Martin Logans at the store in Evanston. I thought they were the worst sounding speakers I had ever heard. Then I heard a properly set up pair at Saturdays Audio Exchange which also had a store in Evanston. What a huge difference when you moved them away from the wall.

I do agree that Chicago has a number of good stereo stores . We are very lucky in that way, I have gotten to hear a lot of different gear I wouldn't have had a chance to hear somewhere else.

lostbears, 

There are a few interesting shops in the Miami area.  Sound Components in Coral Gables, Deja Vu Audio South in Miami's Design District, and The Audio Salon in the Biltmore Hotel, Coral Gables.  Tampa is pretty far from me, so I am not aware of what they have going on.  Though Eric Lang has a home automation shop in Orlando that has some nice hifi (Wilson Audio, Sonus Fabter to name two), and maybe a new hifi only shop on the coast somewhere that far North, not close to Tampa, but perhaps worth a visit.  here's his contact:  eric (at) wiredtechgroup (dot) com
Eric is a super nice guy.  I bought my Wilson Sophia 2's from him...
Tell him I said hello!