Upgrading amplifiera.

A number of audiophiles upgrade their amplifiers. Is this a futile quest for the holy grail or are those upgrades a smarter way to dramatically improving the sound then purchasing a new one.

128x128soundsrealaudio
Personally, I think it's fun, and always a major loss. :)

I mean, usually what happens is I start upgrading something.... and after a few hundred dollars just go out and get something completely different!

Having said this, tube pre's are essentially expensive capacitors surrounded by a bunch of other junk. Careful upgrading of the 2 coupling caps can be a big deal.

Best,

E

"...tube pre's are essentially expensive capacitors surrounded by a bunch of other junk..."

Hmmm, depending on the definitions of expensive and junk, that description could technically apply to any audio gear, even including multi-driver speakers.

Well thanks for letting me off the " amplifier " hook. How did I let that happen?

Their was a guy that was upgrading the Antique Sound Labs Hurricane tube amps. He was said to re solder all the joints. Costs as much as the amps did new. I thought that was over the top>
Some folks are forced to upgrade (or at least get something different) when they buy themselves those shiny new speakers! 

Upgrading amps goes on all the time in general, maybe too much you could say. I used to think in terms of upgrading, but after a few decades at it, now anymore I buy something modest but inherently good and then just mod and tweak it like crazy to get the sound I want...but, as it goes out there, that's just me.

OTOH, I've just about reached the conclusion that, longterm in this hobby, if you Don't find at least some sort of way, system building wise, to think outside the box (room design or treatments, conditioning, wiring...or Something to help out), then the upgrade marrygoround will be in the end about all that's left for you...whether we talk amps or just about anything else.
You can or you can be happy with the equipment you have. It's a personal choice but for me it builds the upgrade flame. If you buy it right the first time chances you'll die before you need or want to change anything. Having a well balanced system that works well together and serves the music and you're done. My system doesn't do fireworks but it plays music well or well for me. I bought my system in the mid 1990's the only thing I do is changes caps and bias the amp every 10 years or so. Someone willing to do that can play it for a lifetime.
More to discover