RMS Power?

I often see power specifications like "100W RMS".  There is no such thing as RMS power.  Of course, you can calculate RMS value from any curve, including power curve, but it won't represent anything.  "Real" power representing heat dissipated in resistive load is "Average Power"   Pavg=Vrms*Irms.   In case of sinewaves Pavg=0.707Vpeak * 0.707Ipeak = 0.5Ppeak,  or Ppeak = 2Pavg. 

Term "RMS Power" or "watts RMS" is a mistake, very common in audio.
128x128kijanki
@almarg 

Widespread usage of incorrect terminology doesn’t make it correct. Just as widespread misuse of the English language doesn’t make it correct. For example, many people would say that they could care less about this topic, even though that is the opposite of what they mean :-)
IMO you have to be pragmatic about these things. The industry isn't going to shy away from 'RMS power' anytime soon. Its a 'charged term' that has a life of its own.

Other examples of charged terms:

'output impedance' is not the measure of the actual impedance of the output circuit, its the measure of the servo (feedback) gain of that circuit. Otherwise we would have a problem with Kirchoff's Law. Put another way, if adding loop negative feedback really lowered the output impedance of an amplifier, the result would be that the amp could make more power into lower impedances. But the fact is that the only way to do that is to add more output devices, more heatsinks (or bigger output transformers) and so on. But adding loop feedback definitely lowers output impedance! That is because 'output impedance' is a charged term.

'Conservative' (political term) refers to a person that will drive a Prius rather than a Ford Excursion, will work to protect the forest rather than log it, will work to reduce global warming etc, but most people think it means the opposite. 

(the latter is an example of how messed up our politics are that liberals are conservative and conservatives are liberal...)

We deal with charged terms that mean other than what we are saying all the time. Its part of what makes the human experience so fun :)
Post removed 

Output impedance term can be complex. Perhaps we should rate it in ohms RMS for clarity? :)

@kijanki -

Wliliewonka - It is "watt" and not "Watt" (units start with small letter - but I’m sure you don’t care). You can go back to sleep now.

Peace - I really have no quarrel with you.

Might I suggest that since you have so eloquently demonstrated the incorrect use of the term - that you try contacting at least one of the offending manufacturers and ask them why they still elect to use this invalid term.

"We" might all agree that it is incorrect. But it does no good to preach to the choir.

Perhaps some feedback from the industry could shed some light as to why they continue this practice?

Without it, the reasoning behind it's continued use is just conjecture.

Regards... 
Williwonka, Peace!  I'm sorry for the tone of my comments toward you.  
Changing industry might not be possible, but we can start with our forum.