Curved and Straight Tonearms

Over the last 40 years I have owned 3 turntables. An entry level Dual from the '70's, a Denon DP-52F (which I still use in my office system) and a Rega P3-24 which I currently use in my main system. All of these turntables have had straight tonearms. I am planning on upgrading my Rega in the near future. Having started my research, I have noticed that some well reviewed turntables have curved 'arms. My question: What are the advantages/disadvantages of each, sonic or otherwise? Thanks for any input. 
ericsch
If the azimuth cannot be fixed by the limited headshell adjustment, you really need to return the cart you bought, you have a cartridge problem not a tonearm problem.
I read Robert Greene's review of the SL1200G in TAS last night.  I own an SL1200GAE and have done so for about a year now.  Of course, it has an "S" arm on it.  I also own a VPI Prime with straight tube arms (2) and have owned this TT for about 2 years.  I also own another VPI HW19 fitted with an SME Series III, another "S" shaped arm and have owned this one since 1989.  Anyway, if anyone is interested I will try and offer some additional perspective on the matters under discussion to the already excellent points made.
OK, here goes.  Although it is correct to say that an "S" shaped tonearm often facilitates the incorporation of a removable head shell into the design, it is not axiomatic that this would be so.  Case in point, the SME Series III is an "S" arm which does not have this feature.  Rather it incorporates a similar interchangeable arm design to my Prime.  It is also problematic to make bold statements about bearing configurations.  For example, my Prime single pivot tonearm was recently modified and significantly improved sonically by the addition of a second pivot, developed by VPI.  The GAE has a double gimball bearing arrangement.  Using the same cartridge, the two TTs/arm combinations do sound somewhat different, but as to which is "better" or more "accurate" I cannot say. There will be those that make decisive statements about the merits of direct drive vs. belt drive, complete with golden ear claims about tone/pitch perfection and such, most if not all of which have been debunked over the years in repeated double blind tests.  My SL1200GAE does have very steady speed, is quiet and all that.  But my Prime, with it's heavy platter, excellent bearing and tripple belts, and aided by Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner Tachometer and Eagle PSU, is it's equal both measurably and sonically.  In short, these are two superb turntables and both sound terrific.  They are different ergonomically, with the GAE easier to setup and to use perhaps appealing to the record collector, the Prime perhaps appealing more to the true audiophile.  I am not sure which of these two TTs is the better of the two.  I am reminded of the wisdom of Bertrand Russell, "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
So, who first promulgated that thought, Bertrand Russell or William Butler Yeats? In the Second Coming, written in 1919, Yeats wrote:
"The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

It doesn’t matter, really. We see evidence of the truth in these sentiments on a daily basis, emanating from the White House and its environs.