Mint lp best tractor for VPI Classic

Does anyone in the SF Bay Area have a Mint best tractor for a VPI Classic 1 that I can borrow/rent/buy from?  

baaach
I just got my Mint for my Classic 3 with 3D 10 arm, and spent the painstaking hour doing the proper Mint process for alignment.

Relative to the VPI jig-based positioning, the Mint moved the cart (Dynavector XX2-II) forward on the headshell by ~1.5 mm and added a teeny little twist of the body clockwise on cantilever alignment. The sound difference was definitely noticeable:

1. Better stereo separation and ’solidity’ throughout (I suspect I did not perfectly set the cantilever straight on the VPI jig against its grid lines... no doubt the Mint allows for more accuracy on this critical dimension).

2. Relaxed, utterly natural sound at the beginnings of records, but definitely more inner groove distortion on LP’s cut near the spindle, esp. on more highly modulated passages

Overall it is better I think but it is rather unfortunate as it renders some of my favorite records with songs ending a side almost unlistenable... now thinking about moving the cart body back a touch, closer to the VPI setting.

It does seems correct that the VPI jig optimizes for inner groove playback, vs Mint minimizing distortion across the record face at expense of inner groove playback.
jjss49 -
I have the XX2 also but with no (zero) inner groove distortion, using no antiskate.  An hour for your first time with the Mint is phenomenal!  May I suggest that your cart is misaligned?  Check spindle-to-pivot distance before you realign the cart.  If it's off the Mint curve will be wrong.   A 30x loupe would be handy too.  The ones supplied by Mint are Fail.  Good luck!

wlutke

yes it occurred to me i might’ve done the mint process less than perfectly

also reading about the 258 mm vs 259 mm pivot to spindle debacle on the vpi’s with 10/10.5 arms as it relates to the mint ... he said 259 is the standard, i measured 258, he sent me 259 protractor... is all this due to 1 mm off on protractor angle???

last night i played with the alignment again and used vpi jig again played a little with cart ’twist’ angles... going back to vpi settings seems to have helped inner groove distortion

ugh confusing...
"PERFECT" Alignment" has eluded my Classic setup for years.

I waffle between the supplied jig, Feikert with/without A.S.
Things sound great, but now and then, vocals get a little out of control. These same records sound spectacular on a show rig, so it leads me to believe it's my cart alignment off by a hair

Just can't get myself to lug the Classic to a dealer for a "Professional" setup.

I agree that the Mint is a very valuable setup tool, however, the Fozgometer and its accompanying disc is as valuable as well. The rod on the arm method is very approximate, and doesn't usually work to give all the air, dynamics, depth, etc. (unless you're lucky) that can be had.