Koetsu surprise

I have to hand it to my wife.  Like many of us, I have always plotted and schemed my own system upgrades based on my interests and perceived best bang for the buck.  I have been concentrating on the analog front end for the past 4 years and have been listening to a lot more music.  I had been enjoying a Lyra Delos for its detail and upper register energy, a SoundSmith Zephyr Star for its amazing instrumental separation and full frequency balance and an Ortofon MC A90, that I purchased used of Agon.  Thought I was done with cartridges for a long time.
So when on the eve of our 20th wedding anniversary I received a little square box from her, I had no clue that she would gift me something for the stereo.  But there in front of me is a pretty little Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum!  
Its hard to describe the disbelief.  I had never considered a Koetsu.  My impression of them was that they were rolled off, romantic, old school cartridges that had been bettered long ago by the likes of Ortofon, Lyra and SoundSmith.  Never really read up on their cartridges given that their cheapest models were about as much as I would ever consider spending.  
Fast forward one month and I have put about 40 hours on the RSP.  From the first needle drop I was very impressed with the midrange presence and the utter ease and extension into the very highest frequencies. The bass did sound a little soft in the first several hours but has tightened up considerably.  It sounded its best loaded with 100 Ohms and mounted on my Mørch DP-6 with heavy brass headshell screws from SoundSmith.  I currently have it on my Jelco 750D with a Jelco Rosewood headshell.  
I don't think any of these arms are the best match but the RSP does sound quite special on all of them.  Just purchased a 40 year old Fidelity Research FR-64S.  Can't wait to listen to the RSP on this arm.  Any recommendations on the FR-64S/RSP combo are welcome.

This whole experience has taught me an interesting lesson about assumptions in our little hobby.  You just have to listen before you judge.  This is a quantum leap in musical enjoyment that would never have happened if left to my own devices. Anyone else have this type of experience?  First time you heard something that changed your mind about what you thought you knew about audio?

I married up!

128x128karl_desch
Should mention that my KRSP has the diamond cantilever - can't imagine a much lower compliance than that.

Wow, Terry, that is a really interesting sounding DIY table.  The platter is about 100 lbs!  With that kind of weight, an air or magnetic bearing is the way to go.  NICE!!

By the way, the material for your cantilever does not have much bearing on the compliance of the cartridge.  The amount of force needed to deflect the stylus to a specified distance (compliance) is really determined by the cartridge suspension.   

Mulveling, it must be great having three different Koetsu cartridges, including the top stone cartridge.  Do you have any other cartridges?  I have sometimes been tempted to get something radically different just to mix things up.  Have you been tempted to get something like a Colibri, just for something completely different?  (I like spending your money for you).

Mulveling, may I ask you about the characteristics of your stone bodies? I am toying with the idea, you see.

Thanks!

Nobody in this hobby is a tabula rasa . We all have ''some beliefs''

or prejudice at least. My was based on Raul's influnce because

I believe in his ears but not in his theories. He invested much money

in those ''carts of the month'' so we were able to profit this way

fom him. My prejudice against ''Koetsu'' was confirmed by one

of the (many) models or versions: the Rosewood . But this

''confirmation'' was refuted by the Blue Sky which I like very much.

So , obviously, we can't judge about ''Koetsu'' in general.