Soekris ApS dac1101 another discrete R2R Multibit dac.

They’re coming from everywhere , got to give this one it’s own thread. As I’ve been following his development progress on DiyAudio forums for some time now.
Selling price is great, but postage to Australia could make some hold back, bit steep for something so small that weighs nothing.
http://www.soekris.dk/dac1101.html
This link can be buggy, could be his server, you’ll get there if you keep trying.

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi
Not again, now he is making noise here after his bashing got booted from diyaudio.com, sorry to expose everybody here for that....

He purchased four pcs rev1 dam1021-01 DIY DAC boards in Jan 2015. In Sept 2016 he emailed and asked to return the units for a full refund, as he "was overwhelmed", which I of course couldn't do, those were pretty old boards, the dam1021 was then at rev 4.... Instead I offered to update them for $25 per board, but he declined that.

The dam1021 started life as a test bench for my R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC Technology, it turned out to be great so I decided to offer them to the DIY community at a pretty low cost. Over time it got improved, like all new products, with suggestions for hardware improvements and free firmware updates.

Apparently he got pissed with me and are now throwing around all kinds of accusations. If you believe him just a little bit I can recommend you to read the main dam1021 thread at diyaudio.com, but it's kinda pretty long....
I bet you are sorry and you should be for ripping people off with your false and misleading advertising. Yes, the original thread is long because it is all about all the design issues people found with the rev 1. I encourage people to check that out. Notice how Soekris used the diyaudio.com members to debug and improve his product for him, saving him thousands in R&D. Clever.

Yes I am pissed, and I am not the only one. People don't like false advertising and products that don't live up to the claims made by companies, especially those who won't stand behind their products but rather insult and spread lies.

I emailed and stated clearly that they weren’t as advertised. You replied that it was a DIY product and I should fix them myself. Yes, I said I was overwhelmed. DIY doesn’t mean fix it yourself!

I did not ask to return them. I asked for a credit on the purchase of the new version or that you repair them. Yes, you offered to repair them- for $100 and postage!

Show me where your original sales ad for the rev 1 says it was a "test bench". It doesn’t, rather, it calls it a "reference quality dac" with "sound quality will be the absolute best, better than any Delta Sigma DAC, in class with discrete DAC’s from totaldac and msb technology."

You admit it was flawed and can’t be compared to other dacs with this comment:

"We all agreed that the stock rev1 was not perfect, but it was really also a test engine for the core R-2R technology, it’s not really fair comparing with that one.... "

"Really a test engine", not a reference quality dac. You should have made that clear up front instead of misleading people into thinking it was a finished, professional product. If you had any integrity you would have done the right thing and offered to repair them without charge. Instead you insult and spread more lies, all over $100. Pretty short sighted in light of all the time you are wasting hopping around all the internet forums lying to people. Would have been far simpler to just repair them and have a satisfied customer.

I thought this thread was about the dac 1101? Without taking sides, I really liked my dac1101 when I had it - sold it and own a different (more $$$) dac now. I didn't feel misled when I purchased it, nor at anytime. I would buy Soekris again.
Gentlemen, this is not productive. It sounds like this thread opened a can of worms. I think this sort of arguments are best done off line.
Soekris Engineering has admitted, in their own words, that the rev 1 was not as advertised. There is no disputing this fact. Sadly, when a company is not responsive to its customers and refuses to do the right thing, airing dirty laundry and exposing poor service is really the only avenue left to customers who have been ripped off. I don't want to see anyone else get shafted by Soekris Engineering and am alerting people to how I have been treated so that others don't suffer the same treatment. Please keep this in mind when you consider Soekris Engineering products.