Preamps with two main-outs

Question for folks with two separate stereo amps driven by a single preamp. My preamp has two main outputs feeding two separate amps - one stereo and one pair of monoblocks, driving two pairs of speakers in two different rooms. Is it normal to need to turn on all the amplifiers to play any music? In other words, I can't just turn on my stereo amp to listen to music in one room. Its all or nothing. Fortunately the mono amps (MC2200) have volume control and I can turn them all the way down but can't do that for the stereo amp for the speakers in the other room. I was wondering if this is normal for all preamps with multiple pre-outs or its dependent on a particular preamp model. If it matters, the preamp is a NAD C165BEE. Thanks.

P.S. The second main-out has a little knob for gain control but its on the back of the preamp next to the ports and not practical to use for this purpose.

128x128kalali
Good find!  I took a look at the manual for the SP-331, and it indicates that the amp is muted for some number of seconds after turn-on while the input tubes warm up.  That is not surprising, but what is very surprising is that based on your findings it would seem to be a good bet that the muting function apparently shorts the input to ground.  I have never before heard of that being done by any component. 

And if that is a correct interpretation of the results (as opposed, for example, to the SP-331 performing in that manner as a result of some kind of defect in the particular amp), I would have to say that it is a ridiculous design.  Consider the situation where it is the only amp being used in a system, and the user has a solid state preamp having a low output impedance and chooses to leave the preamp turned on all the time, while the amp is turned on only when it is being used.  And he or she chooses to play a CD through that preamp continuously for many hours, for burn-in purposes.  The preamp would then have the signal it is trying to put out shorted to ground, with the current drawn from its output stage limited only by its own output impedance and drive capability.  Damage in that situation being a very possible result.

Or consider the very situation you have, but with a preamp that has separate output stages to drive its its two sets of outputs (although relatively few preamps have that feature).  When listening via the MC2200 you would not know that the signal the preamp is attempting to output to the unpowered Vincent is being shorted to ground.  With damage once again being a possible result, eventually if not sooner.

On another note, I'm not sure how much seriousness there was in Onhwy61's comment.  But while it is possible that in  **some** cases having an unpowered component connected to the signal path might affect sonics, in a way that would not occur if that component were powered up, the reasons would have nothing to do with "out of phase backflow current."  I can expound on that further if anyone is interested.

Best regards,
-- Al

P.S: Regarding the inconsistency between Shadorne’s post and mine that was posted at almost the same instant, I guess it goes to show that great minds don’t always think alike :-)

Best regards,
-- Al

Thanks again for all the input. I think Al has put his finger on the cause for this seemingly unusual behavior. It appears that the Vincent mute feature is is not only on during warm up - roughly 30 seconds, but also active while the amp is powered down. Regarding the scenario for burning in a source with only the preamp on, I suppose one could disconnect the amp through the process. I do however suspect if this is considered a normal behavior or design for majority of the amps. Those of you who consider this normal, have you actually experienced this situation with your gear? I'm sure this is a fairly popular arrangement for the folks who bi-amp their speakers using a single preamp.
I just did an experiment. Powered everything down and disconnected the ICs going to my Vincent SP331. Turned on the preamp and the MC2200s and they sounded fine. Powered everything down and plugged the ICs back in SP331 without turning it on, and turned the MC2200s and the preamp and no sound. Did the complete opposite and I can play the Vincent without having to turn on the MC2200s. The only conclusion I can draw is something in the Vincent input stage - I'm guessing its tube input stage, is somehow "shorting" the preamp output signal on both paths.
  Take a look at the INPUT of the SP331 in the schematic!!!

https://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/egyeb/vincent_sp331-pwr_sch.pdf_1.png
kalali,
Can you use a ohm meter to check the input of the SP331 when it is power down to confirm that the input is shorted?