Tube preamp with or without phono stage?

I’m looking to add a preamp to my two channel system. Currently I’m using an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 as the pre fed by a Simaudio Moon 110LP as the phonostage. My amp’s a Benchmark AHB-2 and speakers are Paradigm Persona 3F. The Personas and Benchmark are recent purchases and I’m rebuilding backwards. I’ve been targeting a clear, detailed, neutral and dimensional soundstage. Very low noise and distortion.

I’d now like to add a tube preamp and have a few questions. What are the pros and cons of the phonostage built into the pre vs as a separate? My amp only has balanced in’s but I can use an XLR to RCA adapter if necessary, are there any concerns with using the adapter? Finally, any recommendations up to about $3-5k with some flexibility?

Thanks
jszei
With that budget, I'd buy the SP14 and PH16 kits from VTA.  Talk to them about building the SP14 with balanced outs if you like.  Not all that hard to build and a major ton of satisfaction  you can't get from any standard commercial preamp at any price.  AND the quality will be every bit the equal or better than anything else mentioned here.  Check 'em out at:

http://tubes4hifi.com/
I picked up a Conrad Johnson ET5, which is now discontinued, but I think is a top-tier piece.  Got it from Dick Moulding at Spearit Sound in Mass.  I got it from these guys for a couple of reasons.  First, a demo with a new warranty (and when it arrived it looked brand new).  Second, they had the best price.  Third, all of the other dealers tried to differentiate themselves from Spearit, thereby confirming to me that they were probably the best dealer out there.  Finally, they willingly said they would take it back within a week of getting it if I didn't like it in my system.  Right now, the ET5 is about $5,200 and I think it's among the best deals out there.  Check all the reviews.  Note: this is not a balanced preamp, but I am not running cables 300 yards long, either.

From there, you can get the outboard phono stage of your choice, depending on the type of music you like to listen to, and be on your way to a working-man's reference system for under $8,000 for these two components.

Happy listening.
I have a Decware CSP3 and the Schitt Freya.  The tube output of the schitt is nice with upgraded tubes but doesn't hold a candle to  the Decware.  The Decwares ability to control the gain on the output and input tubes is amazing.  I use the balanced inputs and outputs of the Freya and the volume control.  If I could go back in time I would get the Decware ZTPRE with 2 balanced inputs for my W4S DAC2 DSDse 2V2 or Schitt Yggdrasil and one unbalanced input for the phono pre amp.  
Great guys at Spearit.....I have purchased a number of components from them over the years and they always treated me right....

I purchased my c-j Classic 2 SE from them, and while I didn't take them up on a home demo, they had their demo in a seriously good system and it sounded fantastic so I was prettty confident it would sound great in my system.   

I do regret not getting the optional phono stage ,  but at the moment I have no turntable.  Fortunately I did not sell my records so someday......
Like i said before, the MP-3 with phono or MP-1 with Phono not only will give you many years of trouble free operation. The Pre-amp is dead quiet, Musical, Conveys emotions to the listener in such a way once you settle down with this gear their is no going back!! 
You will get everything in spades. This is a Pre-amp and Phono in one box and in my opinion its a more superior setup than having 2 box version as you are adding more variables to the equation.

Iv been in this hobby for over 25 years.  Spent more money on this hobby than I have on anything else in my life.  I came to a point of giving up and just sticking to commercial electronics then I found Atma-Sphere.

What ever you go for, at least hear the MP-1 and 3 before you decide. I know for a fact once you hear a properly broken in unit setup on a nice system doing A and B testing you will come to a realisation. Kind of like your elevated on a higher spiritual plane. Everything just becomes clearer.