Tube preamp with or without phono stage?

I’m looking to add a preamp to my two channel system. Currently I’m using an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 as the pre fed by a Simaudio Moon 110LP as the phonostage. My amp’s a Benchmark AHB-2 and speakers are Paradigm Persona 3F. The Personas and Benchmark are recent purchases and I’m rebuilding backwards. I’ve been targeting a clear, detailed, neutral and dimensional soundstage. Very low noise and distortion.

I’d now like to add a tube preamp and have a few questions. What are the pros and cons of the phonostage built into the pre vs as a separate? My amp only has balanced in’s but I can use an XLR to RCA adapter if necessary, are there any concerns with using the adapter? Finally, any recommendations up to about $3-5k with some flexibility?

Thanks
jszei
Do you think an external phono stage will diminish the sound quality by requiring additional interfaces and set of cables?

No. I have found quite the opposite to be true.
A separate phono stage, with it's larger, isolated power supply, and gain/loading options, has always seemed to out-perform any on-board phono stage that I've tried.
IMHO, this is similar to the issue of integrated amp vs. separate amp and pre-amp. I tend to generally agree with jmcgrogan2, although my Aesthetix Janus pre-amp, which combines most of the separate Calypso line-stage and Rhea phono-stage, does have on-the-fly gain and loading. Advantages are cost and shelf space. Separates would likely sound better, but I am satisfied.
I've had a working belief in my short audio enthusiast life that less is more. But I get that seperates and their power supplies can and are also beneficial. However in my experience thus far a 2k phono pre didn't come close to making that worth it though in my case. 
Iv had VAC, CJ, Jardis, Purity Audio Design Top of the Line and a few others which were SS state.

I would highly suggest you look into Atma-Sphere Preamps. Either the MP-3 or if you can swing it get the MP-1.

So far no other pre-amp I have come across sounded so pure.

The VAC Pre-amps were nice and sweet sounding but honestly the Atma detail retrival, soundstage, dynamics just were a few notches higher.