I would like to get into Turntables but ......... HELP!

Help ! I would like to get into turntables but am miffed by all the terms ! Could someone recommend a Book/Mag.
to help me ? All I am looking for is an entry level TT to get started that is ready to plug in and play. My pre-amp has a TT connection. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me, its been 35 yrs since I last had a TT !
128x128rsa

What is your preamp?  Reason I ask is to make sure that your preamp has a true phono input (not just a line level input labeled for a TT, as some do, which would mean you'd have to buy some more hardware) and to find out what type of phono input (MM or MC) it has, which would dictate the type of cartridge you could use on your turntable.

As far as books, I would imagine Robert Harley's book would discuss turntable basics, and Michael Fremer has a DVD out about turntable setup that might be helpful, though I haven't seen it.

A good entry level table that is a plug and play would be a Rega P3 with an Exacta cartridge.  And make sure you have a true phono stage in your pre amp, as stated above.
This site is mainly about fairly sophisticated "record players" for people
with a sizable collection of choice records, and a fairly advanced level of
audio components to boot.  A basic turntable (plug and play as you stated) can be bought from any number of electronic retailers. If you go in that direction a lot of details can be (thankfully) ignored and you can
still listen to most popular music and enjoy the experience.  My 1st machine was a Garrard (cost about $75 with cartridge) and even though i wasn't that happy with the mediocre quality, I still played a thousand records on it with little regret until i was ready to get something better.