I have a blown driver and I'm not sure what to do

I have a set of Paradigm Speakers that make up my 7.1 set-up.  I had blown driver in one of the ADP 590s I'm using for a side speaker and replaced a driver in it ($300) 

I hear distortion in the other ADP and I'm pretty sure it's ANOTHER blown driver.  The price of the driver has gone up to $500.....same exact part.

Part ID # 2030800007 

I don't know that it's worth it....

Any thoughts?

128x128shweinhold

Meaning of separates is broad, but the core idea is to use separate processor and separate multichamp. You can also separate music from movies using either dedicated amp or dedicated amp/preamp for mains with theater bypass.

I moved, and re-did the speaker configuration using Audessy in my new home. The crossover was set to 80 mhz, but the speaker size was set to small. I can’t see much more detail than that, but I wonder if that’s why it would under-drive the speaker.

Technically, you’re not under-driving or over-driving speaker, but practically, read my prior note about Dennon AVR units. As a service man and techie I told that these units are unpredictable, overly sophisticated and absolutely unmanageable and unserviceable (anyone tries to ask me fix their Denon AVR, I simply send them away to whoever has another technical opinion about them). Your unit most-likely fails at some point and destroys your precious speakers. The point is you never will know the exact reason when dealing with it. If you try to make warranty claim and succeed, it will be a very good time to sell it right after you’ve been granted either overhaul or complete replacement of unit.

I stick to Sunfire products as they’ve presented to me maximum neutrality, precision and the most objective and truthful reproduction of instrument and voices with sufficient dynamic headroom. There are people that love Anthem products, but I find Sunfire giving more for the value.

Thank you for the input!  It sounds like even if I tested the Denon, I wouldn't find any predictable problem.

What I'm probably going to do it suck it up and buy the driver, making sure to by an amp that won't destroy another.

I can use the denon in another room, with cheaper speakers.

Anthem MRX 720?

I hear Anthem has great room correction software so I could also split it with the AVM 60 and an amp, but I don't know if I want spend the monry right now.

My house also needs windows :-)

Thinking about this problem today, contact Paradigm and ask if there is an undocumented upgrade.

Sometimes speakers go out, develop issues like this, and the manufacturer makes a change to the crossover to reduce the load on the tweeter.

It's a long shot, but worth asking.

Best,

E
Thank you E,

It looks like they will work with me on the driver.  They are willing to sell it to me for the price I paid two years ago ($300), but I will ask that question.

RIght now I'm just deciding what to drive it with from here.  I know that splitting is the best way to go.

Anthem MRX 720
OR
Anthem AV60 and Anthem PA 7
OR
Sunfire TGA-7201 (7401 seem like over-kill for what I have?)
OR
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/processors-sunfire-theater-grand-iii-7-1-channel-surround-sound-pr...

A few people have said that the Anthem has the best room-correction software.  Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks again for all of the input!

I'm excited to get this repaired, and to improve the sound.  I'm a professional musician, and sadly, don't just listen to music much anymore. 

Perhaps this will inspire me to listen more!

Scott