Amp Input impedance - old Macintosh C-20 preamp with modern SS amp

I have a pair of old, beloved friends in my system, my Macintosh C-20 preamps.  I've owned  them for over 40 years - they have been upgraded and very well maintained.  They sound wonderful.  I wouldn't part with them for anything.  They have been hooked up to a pair of ADCOM 5500s, which is a match I just love.  Some very recent developments have caused me to start thinking my ADCOMs might not be long for this world.  In the past two years I have lost two excellant local repair shops and I'm now faced with shipping my amps from Milwaukee to either Wyoming or the east coast anytime one them has a hiccup.  And lately, they have started to hiccup.

I would need two amps for my system so that limits me with what I can afford.  I was looking at the Parasound 2250s as my most logical choice.  My question regards output / input matching of the preamp & amp.
Number 1 - Does anyone know the output impedance of a Macintosh C-20 preamp? All I can find about the output are these two pieces from the old, 1960s manual:

MAIN OUTPUT 2.5 volts with rated input
    and this
MAIN Output Connected to Power Amplifiers
The MAIN and TAPE output jacks are fed from cathode followers. The input impedance of devices connected to these outputs should be 50,000 ohms or greater, and the capacitive reactance of audio cables connecting these devices should not be less than 8,000 ohms at 20,000 cycles. This is the reactance of a capacity of 1,000 mmf. Audio cable having a capacity of 25 mmf per foot may be 40 feet long; 13.5 mmf per foot cable may be 75 feet long

My ADCOMs were 49,900 ohms a good match, but many of today's amps are rated at 33,330 ohms.

Number 2  Long term /short term is this a mismatch? Parasound has a network of dealers including a few around here. Before buying I plan to take my C-20 in and try it together with a 2250; but are there other considerations, maybe long term, that could impact my decision?

My speakers are Magnepan 1.7 s, they are played at a robust volume level, and no, I can't swing a pair of big Parasound A-21s.

Thanks
Toolbox

toolbox149
Post removed 
Bob,
Thanks for joining in.  My C-20s are in a quadraphonic system.  They sit just before the front and rear channel amps restricted to a line-level input coming into the Aux inputs, and then stright out to the amps.  
Basically, I use the C-20s for l-r balancing and volume control of each amp and to get that sweet tube sound they put out.  The whole system is bi-amped using Dahlquist high/low pass which rolls of the high pass at about 80 hz at 18 db an octive. 
So, how does the biamping affect this.
Do you think MacIntosh may have overstated the output impedance?
Thanks,
Toolbox
Thank you, John (Roxy54).

Toolbox, first, I’m not sure I understand the comment just above about biamping. If it’s a quadraphonic system you’ve got four speakers, and your two Adcom amplifiers provide a total of four channels of amplification, rather than the eight channels that would be required to biamp the four speakers. Can you clarify how the Dahlquist crossover fits into the system?

Second, I found a schematic for the C20 at HifiEngine.com (one has to register there to see it), and it shows that a cathode follower stage drives the output via a 0.47 uf coupling capacitor. The impedance of a 0.47 uf capacitor at 20 Hz is about 16,900 ohms, which is extremely high. And the output impedance of the cathode follower would increase the overall output impedance further. So Kenny’s (Kdude66’s) recollection of 23K, although perhaps a bit on the high side, is in the right ballpark for the deep bass part of the spectrum. The impedance will be much lower at higher frequencies, since the capacitor’s impedance will decrease as frequency increases, but it is that **variation** in output impedance (from relatively low values at mid and high frequencies to very high values at deep bass frequencies) that will cause the deep bass roll-off Bob referred to if the load impedance is not high enough.

Which together with the fact that the C20 was designed and introduced when amplifiers were tube-based and generally had higher input impedances than most modern solid state amps, and when most users probably did not have speakers providing a great deal of deep bass extension, points to the conclusion that the 50K minimum load recommendation is aggressive if anything, by today’s standards, and an even higher impedance would be preferable. I would suggest looking for an amp having an input impedance in the 75K to 100K area. Unless, that is, you would consider modifying the C20s by installing coupling caps having much higher values. Although doing so might have sonic tradeoffs of its own, especially if you want to minimize the cost of the new capacitors.

Some of the older McCormack DNA series of amplifiers come to mind as providing 100K input impedances, and are well regarded for their sonics, and my impression is that they tend to be available used for prices in the same general area as the 2250. Some of those models may be a bit marginal for your application in terms of power capability, but if you could find a DNA-225 for example it would be capable of more than 400 watts into the 4 ohm impedance of your Maggies.

Best of luck. Regards,
-- Al

Thanks Al,
FYI     All of my inputs (mostly my CD equipment) feed into my primary preamp, a Bryston BP-25.  From there the signal goes to the Dahlquist LP-1.  After that, the high pass signal goes through a number of pieces including the Sansui QSD-1 quadraphonic unit. From the QSD-1 it goes to the C-20s and from there to the ADCOM 5500s.
The low pass material goes from the Dahlquist to a EQ, then to an ADCOM 555 and finally to a pair of 15" subwoofers.
Thanks for the McCormack suggestion, but that puts me back in the same boat.  Old equipment with nowhere to get it serviced unless I ship it halfway across the country. If I have to stay with older equipment, I might as well try to get the ADCOMs fixed.
I was kinda hoping someone would tell me way back in the 60s they probably used the 20 to 1 ratio, but (just my luck) the intel is headed in the opposite direction.

Thanks,
Toolbox
Looking at the manual for the old Mac C20, it states it has a left and right output of 2.5v from a generator impedance of 23,000ohms (23kohm)!!!!!
Which if I'm reading this right, for it to be a great match for a poweramp, the poweramp would have to have at least 100kohm input impedance or more.
http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com/schematics-manuals/mcintosh/mcIntosh-c20-owner-manual.pdf

Cheers George