Preamp - Ayre vs. Audio Research

If anyone has heard both the Audio Research Reference 6 and the Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp, please describe the differences in their sound.

I recently settled on a D'Agostino Momentum S-250 amplifier. I compared it to a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenties, and my report can be found on a thread called D'Agostino vs Ayre. 

Unfortunately, the Momentum preamp does not offer a line out option, and I want that for headphone amp operation. So, I am considering the AR or Ayre preamp options. Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
I bought the AR Ref 6 on Audiogon just this morning from an individual. I've dealt with about six dealers just this past 18 months. JS Audio, Crescendo, Audio Alternative, Galen Carol Audio, Scott Walker Audio, and the Cable Company.
My current system is a PS Audio Perfectwave transport feeding a Berkeley Alpha Reference 2 processor thru Synergistic Research Galileo LE AES/XLR digital interconnect, or an Esoteric SACD player. Balanced interconnects are Audioquest WEL Signature. Present preamp is an Ayre KX-R Twenty that I plan to compare to the Audio Research Reference 6. Quite often I run the Berkeley direct, with no preamp. Its Amazing. Amp is a D'Agostino Momentum S-250 powering Wilson Alexia loudspeakers. Cables are Synergistic Research Galileo LE.
Personally, I like to buy the amp and preamp from the same manufacturer....the attributes are present/flaws are diminished.  Getting different designers' take on their units  is a crap shoot putting them together.
I see your point stringreen. But some considerations I have might make my system a little unique. I have settled on the D'Agostino Momentum amplifier. It sounds Wonderful powering the Alexias. Unfortunately, the Momentum preamp does not offer a Line Out option. And I want to run a headphone amp and be able to swap to multiple sources. I also plan to feed the D'Agostino amp directly from the Berkeley quite often. Those two considerations make the AR Ref 6 ideal, on paper. It has balanced line out. And it also has the ability to switch one input into bypass mode, eliminating any gain circuitry. I could hook my Berkeley into one input and drive the amp directly. I could use the other active inputs for my other sources. Then use the line outs for my headphone amp. No cable swapping required, ever. But what ultimately matters is the sound.
Very nice! imgoodwithtools.

I will second ,Galen Carol. He is a fine audiophile.

Happy Listening!