My Rega RP6, Exact combo may be going back due to hum.

Greetings again.

About a week ago I wrote on another thread the issue that I was having with my Rega RP6/Exact combo and the hum that it was making and how it got worse as the tonearm approached the spindle. My dealer is willing to take it back and exchange it for something different. He has been very gracious and even came to my house to diagnose the problem; returning the rig is not a problem. He has an Planar 3 with Elys 2 in the store with EXACTLY the same problem. He is also very disappointed at the product since just  recently started carrying the Rega line. I feel like I should purchase another table from him and the other choices are Music Hall, Project and the Marantz TT15 S1. I have heard the Marantz (made by Clearaudio) and it sounds great, although not in my system. He is also an Ortofon, Grado and Goldring dealer in case I want to try a different cartridge.  

Suggestions?? Thanks again. 
pivetta
erisch,

Yes, the Denon DL-110 required about 2mm or so of a raising to make tonearm parallel to the record. I attained 9 small flat washers and super glued them into 3 stacks, 3 high which give a 2mm or so height. I then drew up the 3 points of screws holding the RB-330 down and slipped these  stacks of washers under the base and then screwed the arm back down. It works great and keeps things rigid, hardly noticeable too  as the flat flat washers are silver and the brace on the P3 is silver too.
Sounds like fun but you still do not know if 1.9 or 2.1 mm would sound better, or if 2.4 would be far better .
Interesting solution, Les. I have a P3-24 with an Exact 2. I think if I were to experiment with non Rega cartridges, I would buy the shims that can be found online. I hope to buy a RP-8 sometime down the road.
Eric
@les_creative_edge 
Considering the number of turntables serviced by me, I'd say that Rega is indeed budget line and it's not even close to to quality of Pioneer PL560, Yamaha YP9 and certainly my HK Rabco linear deck. 
I'm fan of linear decks and even simple Pioneer PL-L800 (can get it $200 in mint shape) can humiliate Rega on bass, detail and noise floor.
Well, too many to mention that will best in price, performance and built quality. 
Some good comments here regarding Rega TT. I have had my Planar 3/RB300 since 1984 when it was partnered with original Rega MM cart, A&R A60 Amp and lovely Heybrook HB1 speakers. Great system for the price point. I still have the A&R but the Heybrooks disintegrated.
Now a couple of years ago the Rega 240v suspended motor capacitor packed up so I replace the motor and board with expensive High Performance Motor Upgrade Kit's 24v DC motor & 'tuned' board. This is stuck on to the thin Rega plinth veneer of this model with thin adhesive foam pad so is now directly coupled to the plinth. 
After a recent oil/bearing change - which really tamed the bearing noise - I noticed a hum from the motor, most noticeable when the lid is closed. Detaching the platter/sub-platter & belt and disconnecting the amp/tonearm cables showed the motor noise was still there. A stethoscope from my partner means I can clearly hear the low frequency tone through the plinth veneer.
This sound does drop off quickly the further from the motor you listen but I without a microphone I can't say if it reached the tonearm/cartridge.