Audiophiles are not alone

In the current (May 13th-19th, 2017) edition of the Economist there is a short piece entitled "Violins" that I want to bring to your attention.  It is about new violins and old violins, specifically Cremonese (Guarneri, Stradivari, Amati) vs. Joseph Curtin (modern violin maker in Michigan).  With Dr. Claudia Fritz of the University of Paris, presiding, experiments were held in Paris and New York that proved to the majority of both musicians and listeners (other musicians, critics, composers etc.) that new fiddles out performed old ones.  There were some sort of goggles used so that the players could not tell what instrument they were playing.  The audience was also prevented from seeing the instruments somehow.  All this done without inhibiting sound transmission.  Both solo and orchestrated works were performed.  You can read the whole story in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.  And this is only the latest evidence of this apparent reality, as according to the article, similar experiments have reached similar conclusions prior to this.  The article concluded with the observation that these results notwithstanding, world class players are not about to give up their preference for their Cremonese fiddles.

This reminds me very much of some of our dilemmas and debates such as the ever popular: analog vs. digital, tube vs. transistor, and subjective listening vs. measured performance parameters.  If it has taken a couple of hundred years and counting for the debate on fiddles to remain unresolved, what hope have we to ever reach resolutions to some of our most cherished and strongly held preferences?  This is asked while hugging my turntables and tube electronics.
billstevenson
Post removed 
This kind of test proves very little other than the fact that, yes, there are good modern instruments being crafted today.  Are they as good as the Cremonese instruments?  Wolf Garcia has it exactly right; it is the feel of the instrument to a particular player that matters.  This merits some expounding as there is a lot more to "feel" than may be obvious:

Every player looks for different traits in an instrument's response characteristics ("feel").  Some players like a very responsive (fast) instrument, while another player may prefer an instrument that needs to be coaxed to some degree for it to respond.  It is a very personal thing and a kind of relationship between the player and the instrument.  As a general rule modern instruments (not just violins) tend to be more responsive than vintage ones and this goes to the appeal of the Cremonese instruments.  The Cremonese may need some extra coaxing to respond, but the reward can be layers of harmonic complexity and color that many players feel cannot be found in many modern instruments.  The most important aspect of "feel" is what some payers call the "sweet spot".  The sweet spot is the "spot" at which the instrument's inherent "requirements" come together (hopefully) with a player's individual technique characteristics (and this includes the player's actual physical traits) to let the instrument fully express its potential.  When this happens is when the player can, in turn, fully express musicality.  Importantly, and the reason that these tests are pretty pointless, is that finding that "sweet spot" does not happen in minutes or even hours.  A player needs to live with an instrument for some time in order to understand it and how that particular instrument's personality meshes with his/her own technique and expectations.

billstenson, I feel your passion regarding the phono/glass.

I extend my arms a little more to include my beloved tube FM tuner.

"Accurracy" or "realistic" debate is like discussing religion.
I stand somewhere between the dividing line, leaning towards 
inaccurate,noisey,hot vaccum tubes.

Note that the study published in the Economist is a report of the subjective judgement of listeners.  For a brief moment, I thought Bill was going to tell us that some actual measurements were made.
From the title of this thread, I thought before opening it that the OP discovered musicians or audiophiles from outer space.
In some circles musicians and audiophiles ARE thought to be from outer space 😄