I have a blown driver and I'm not sure what to do

I have a set of Paradigm Speakers that make up my 7.1 set-up.  I had blown driver in one of the ADP 590s I'm using for a side speaker and replaced a driver in it ($300) 

I hear distortion in the other ADP and I'm pretty sure it's ANOTHER blown driver.  The price of the driver has gone up to $500.....same exact part.

Part ID # 2030800007 

I don't know that it's worth it....

Any thoughts?

128x128shweinhold
Check with Madisound (https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ under the Madisound Services tab) to see if it might be repairable.

I'm sure that this has occurred to you but, if they didn't get blown at the same time (and possibly even if they did), you need to find out what's causing it! :)
It seems you are overdriving your speakers. Is it a volume issue or maybe an amp issue?
Paradigm makes their own woofers. Even with that as a reality, they may use the same woofer in other speakers, specifically the floorstanders.

to make a new woofer for each and every new model that is introduced, is not the most efficient in time and resources.

Also, that tuning the top of a woofer’s (passive) crossover is the hardest part of crossover design.

so when a woofer is made that works, the incentive to change it or make a new one is less than zero. less than zero.

thus, woofer designs tend to get moved around in a given model year or model type sales period/cycle.

thus, that same woofer is probably available in other models, specifically the floorstanders from that model/cycle/period, or window, of possibly 2-3-4 years of designs.

If they change the surround, or the spyder, or so on, they change the top end response of the woofer and thus complicate it’s use. It’s far easier to change the box design and change the bottom end spec.

From that model cycle, look for woofers of the same design and basket.

They may be a drop in replacement and available as a $500-700-900 pair. With possibly 4 woofers, even (paired woofers per floorstander box, etc).

Or find an orphaned single/pair floorstander with a blown tweeter, the most common problem.

I’m trying to give the reasoning behind looking for a floorstander based compliment to your ADP blown woofer. The odds are better than even that is is out there.

properly done, this may change the costing of the woofers you are looking for to being less than half of the paradigm costing.

You just gotta spend the time on the research end of things. And see if what I’m thinking is possible - actually is possible.

Thus the pool of potential donors can increase by a factor of 3-4-5, thus increasing your chances of getting to lower cost and more timely - replacements.

Pay the price they are asking for their limited stock of NOS replacements at hand....or go to the work-self-time equation. Pick your trade-off.

eg, in this image, the bottom two woofers on the floorstanders and the outside woofers on the center and the woofers in the surrounds, are possibly all the same woofer. It’s just good design practice.

http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/528771-paradigm_reference_studio_100v5_cc690v5_adp590v5_com...

If you ask paradigm directly on this subject, they may or may not clarify. That is up to them, as to how they may handle such a question.