Vandersteen help needed

I posted here a couple of months ago looking for assistance on building my first hi-fi system. Based on the feedback I received and auditioning a fair amount of equipment, I settled on the following components:

- Vandersteen 1ci speakers
- Belles Aria integrated
- Rotel DAC
- Audioquest cables and interconnects
- Source: Mainly streaming tidal through my phone

My room is 12’-10" wide by 11’-2 deep. I am setup on the long wall.
The speakers are 27" from the front wall and 22" from the side walls measured from the center of the speaker. The speakers are 9 ft. apart and about 8 and a half feet from my ears.

I’ve read the user’s guide thoroughly and spent a great amount of trial and error with speaker placement. I believe I have the correct tilt back of 2" and the speakers are towed in ever so slightly.

As for room treatment, I’m using the GIK Acoustics diffuser panels at the first reflection points. Nothing on the second reflection points. I have GIK absorber panels directly behind the speakers. I’ve also tried removing them from the room as well.

Here is the problem:

Instruments around the 1k frequency can be at times subdued and sit further back in the mix. What I’m talking about specifically are the lead vocal and snare. I never really get that crack from the snare drum. (I’m a drummer BTW).

Other times I feel like some of the higher frequencies get a bit muddled. I’ve heard others describe their experiences with Vandy’s as it sounds like there is a blanket over them.

By the time I turn up the gain so that these frequencies stand out a bit, the low end is exciting the room and the sound starts to become unbalanced.

I’ve begun thinking of adding 1-2 Vandy subs so that the low end can be offloaded from the 1ci’s and they can be left to focus solely on producing the mids and highs.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get more clarity out of my system?

Much appreciated,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Vandersteens aren’t everyones cup of tea. You best off trying another brand. It sounds like you are looking for a brighter speaker like a B&W or that type!
I went through the same type of thing with my 1Cs, which I bought new in 2000.  I improved everything in front of them, did some room treatments, and added a pair of 2Wq subwoofers.  I even added the MHP-5 battery biased crossovers for them.  My complaints were somewhat different than yours.  I was missing a degree of detail, and at higher volumes, the sound got congested and pinched-sounding.  The spacial presentation was good, but I just could not listen very long without suffering from listening fatigue.  I got to a point where I felt I had taken the 1Cs as far as they could go.  So, after living with them for nine years (in a full 5 channel Vandersteen audio/video system), I replaced all the speakers except for the subs, which I still own, and will never let go of.  I wish I could be more optimistic, but, like another poster said, Vandersteens are not for everyone.  The Model 7 is one of the best speakers I have heard, but in my more pedestrian price range, there are other choices that appeal more to me than the lower-priced Vandys.  YMMV, of course.

John Rutan was kind enough to pay me a visit in my home yesterday. I think we had a very productive and fun troubleshooting session that yielded some very noticeable and dramatic positive results. We tried several different things. Each had its own incremental positive benefit that contributed to the overall net result.

Here is a brief rundown of things we tried and liked:

• A few days ago, as someone suggested, I moved the speakers a little closer together and toed them in slightly more. This helped the midrange present much better. We tried a few other room positions yesterday, but ultimately John and I agreed they sounded best where I originally had them.

• John worked his magic with a level laser and accurately adjusted the Vandys for correct level, toe, and tilt-back.

• The couch that was snugged up against the back wall was moved 11” out. This helped clean up the low end issues a ton.

• We tried a few different power options. Right now the amp is plugged directly into the bottom wall outlet and the DAC and CD player into the unfiltered jacks of a Furman strip. I really didn’t notice much if any difference with different power configurations but perhaps my ears are not finely tuned in enough yet.

• One of the more dramatic improvements came from upgrading the speaker cables and interconnects. I had the Audioquest Rocket 33s and another Audioquest product for the interconnects. I’m not sure what the new ones are. Perhaps John could chime in on that but the difference was huge. I couldn’t believe what a difference the right cables make.

Ultimately, I think we got things pretty darn close to the way John’s 1ci speakers sound at his store. It was tremendously helpful to have a second pair of ears confirming the issues I was experiencing. Having someone with John’s skill level and experience with setting these speakers up was an invaluable asset.  I am very pleased with how my system sounds right now. Although, truth be told, now that most of the original issues have been addressed, I’m kind of hankering to hear how a 2wq sub would sound!

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I enjoyed reading each of your responses and varying opinions. Special thanks to John for spending his Sunday afternoon with me. I can hear the vocals again and my snare is cracking!!!!

Please do share the exact cables that worked for you, when you figure that out.  Thanks, and congrats!