Vandersteen help needed

I posted here a couple of months ago looking for assistance on building my first hi-fi system. Based on the feedback I received and auditioning a fair amount of equipment, I settled on the following components:

- Vandersteen 1ci speakers
- Belles Aria integrated
- Rotel DAC
- Audioquest cables and interconnects
- Source: Mainly streaming tidal through my phone

My room is 12’-10" wide by 11’-2 deep. I am setup on the long wall.
The speakers are 27" from the front wall and 22" from the side walls measured from the center of the speaker. The speakers are 9 ft. apart and about 8 and a half feet from my ears.

I’ve read the user’s guide thoroughly and spent a great amount of trial and error with speaker placement. I believe I have the correct tilt back of 2" and the speakers are towed in ever so slightly.

As for room treatment, I’m using the GIK Acoustics diffuser panels at the first reflection points. Nothing on the second reflection points. I have GIK absorber panels directly behind the speakers. I’ve also tried removing them from the room as well.

Here is the problem:

Instruments around the 1k frequency can be at times subdued and sit further back in the mix. What I’m talking about specifically are the lead vocal and snare. I never really get that crack from the snare drum. (I’m a drummer BTW).

Other times I feel like some of the higher frequencies get a bit muddled. I’ve heard others describe their experiences with Vandy’s as it sounds like there is a blanket over them.

By the time I turn up the gain so that these frequencies stand out a bit, the low end is exciting the room and the sound starts to become unbalanced.

I’ve begun thinking of adding 1-2 Vandy subs so that the low end can be offloaded from the 1ci’s and they can be left to focus solely on producing the mids and highs.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get more clarity out of my system?

Much appreciated,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
May I suggest experimenting with additional toe in?  Johnny Rutan has these set up in his shop spread far apart with a fair amount of toe in.  Running with tube amps, they sound excellent.

@cedargrover thanks for the suggestion. I was convinced to purchase this equipment based on my demos at Johnny's store. His system sounds great!!! Him and I just go off the phone. We're trying to setup an in-house troubleshooting session with potentially using some high pass filters.
In my almost 14x14 room, after multiple experiments with placement, I've gotten the best, most natural, most holographic sound with my Vandy 2Cs 7 feet apart (measured from the center of the speaker), no toe-in, and 12 inches from the front wall (measured from the BACK of the speakers). The listening seat is 10 feet from the plane of the speakers.

+2 rotarius
+1 about Johnny Rutan, he helped me come up with this setup for my room.
Hope something helps, let us know how you do.

Tom

" @rotarius I have not tried bringing the speakers in that close. The stereo imaging is amazing where they're placed now. I can try that though. "

Way too far apart. Your room is small, so I would say start at 6ft apart from inside edge to inside edge. Then, go through the instructions in the manual to set the back tilt. Do it exactly the way they tell you.

When you're done setting the speakers up, the imaging should extend beyond the outside edges of the speakers. Use the contour adjustments only if you need to, and just in small amounts.
I don't know your model speaker, but am using Vandersteen 5A's and believe that your description might come from an imbalance due to uneven floors.....that the arrival time of the 2 speakers to your years are different.  Here's how to get it right.  Go online and get a pen laser...the hand held laser used for pointing to depict a part of a presentation..  They are very inexpensive.  You'll also need some Post-Its....those squares of paper that can adhere to the wall....and a thin line marker.  When all this stuff arrives, here's the process for your speakers.  Turn on and lay the laser on top of the left speaker so that it shines on the wall in back of you....as you would be seated in your listening position.  Put a post-it on the wall so that the laser points to the post-it....use your marker and put a dot directly on the laser position.  Leave the post it stuck to the wall....do exactly the same with your other speaker.  Now the laser spot may be higher (or lower) than your mark on the wall.  Adjust your speaker so that the laser is now directly on that spot.  Now listen and see if the sound is better....(mine was appreciably better).