Lesson in Tube Rolling:: My confirmed need for "air on top" via 12au7 ECC82 5814a tubes

I thought that I would share something that I learned in my first 90 days of tube rolling. 

I knew and still know that I don't like harsh treble.  I thought NOS Mullard CV4003s would be perfect for me.  I realized, though, that the very quality I like about them I also do not like about them--they are laid back and mellow.  But, when I move to other tubes, e.g. RCAs, Ciftes, Amperex, GE, of the same tube equivalent I feel they may be a bit too forward.  

I don't really know much but what I know is that I need a touch of air on top.  The Ciftes and RCAs helped but if I went to a full bay of those it became too bright or top end extended.  And, just as with the Mullards, what I liked about the Ciftes and RCAs was exactly what came to tire me.  

I'm happy to find that mixing preamp tubes seems to do the trick.  If I run 2-4 Mullards with 2 Ciftes (6 preamp tubes total) in the front slots of my amp it adjusts the tone just right.  

This may not be a revelation for advanced tube rollers. It is, however, reassuring because I am able to get very much closer to the tone that I want in my mind's eye (or mind's ear), and I still hear value in the various NOS tubes that I bought. 

As an aside, these experiments worked so well that now I have faith in some reissue Mullard EL34s again and when I swap back in my Gold Lion KT88s, I may go 4/6 Mullard to chill things out a bit.  

I hope this helps other novice tube rollers.  

PS  I would like to try some NOS Brimars to see what kind of air and extension they put on top.  If I roll 4/6 tubes with Ciftes it starts to get to be too much.  
128x128jbhiller
@initforthemusic 

Sure thing. I'm using a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated. 

I have always had strong curiosity to try Vincent's products, like yours. They look so well designed and like Primaluna seem to offer great value 

Thanks jb. Always interesting to know what equipment people are using, as different tubes wiil give different results in certain equipment.

As for Vincent products I have half a dozen. All are good to great bang for buck. Their top line SA-T8 Pre. and SP-998 Mono Blocks blow many mega buck products to the shizenhausen, they are that good.

Lowrider which Mullard 12AU7 are you referring to? The new reissue or NEC/Mullard in your post to JB?

I have not tried the Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7. Good to know they have qualities that I am looking for. How would you compare them to the Cifties?

@samzx12 ,
ECC82 /12AU7 Mullard longplates, square getter, 1950s vintage, Great Britain.
Found on Brent Jessee site...
These are all the older long narrow plate version, with the rare early SQUARE top getter, with the 1950s date code. These are incredible tubes with a fine soundstage, clean top end with a touch of midrange warmth. Rare.
The different types of Mullards and year produced results in different sonic signatures. CV491 military and CV4003 are warm, textured, and laid-back. The ECC82 square getter is a more open tube, so is the ECC82/12AU7 Mullard longplates, halo getter.

Mullard reissues have nothing in common sonically with NOS Mullards. The Mullard name and trademark have been acquired by the New Sensor Corporation (Russian factory); same comany that makes new Tung-Sol, Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix.

(I have never tried Cifties).

I have not heard all the 12au7's created. But out of the 10 or so I have tried, the Cifte/Mazda Gray Plates have become my favorite 12au7 tube.