Lesson in Tube Rolling:: My confirmed need for "air on top" via 12au7 ECC82 5814a tubes

I thought that I would share something that I learned in my first 90 days of tube rolling. 

I knew and still know that I don't like harsh treble.  I thought NOS Mullard CV4003s would be perfect for me.  I realized, though, that the very quality I like about them I also do not like about them--they are laid back and mellow.  But, when I move to other tubes, e.g. RCAs, Ciftes, Amperex, GE, of the same tube equivalent I feel they may be a bit too forward.  

I don't really know much but what I know is that I need a touch of air on top.  The Ciftes and RCAs helped but if I went to a full bay of those it became too bright or top end extended.  And, just as with the Mullards, what I liked about the Ciftes and RCAs was exactly what came to tire me.  

I'm happy to find that mixing preamp tubes seems to do the trick.  If I run 2-4 Mullards with 2 Ciftes (6 preamp tubes total) in the front slots of my amp it adjusts the tone just right.  

This may not be a revelation for advanced tube rollers. It is, however, reassuring because I am able to get very much closer to the tone that I want in my mind's eye (or mind's ear), and I still hear value in the various NOS tubes that I bought. 

As an aside, these experiments worked so well that now I have faith in some reissue Mullard EL34s again and when I swap back in my Gold Lion KT88s, I may go 4/6 Mullard to chill things out a bit.  

I hope this helps other novice tube rollers.  

PS  I would like to try some NOS Brimars to see what kind of air and extension they put on top.  If I roll 4/6 tubes with Ciftes it starts to get to be too much.  
128x128jbhiller
@jbhiller ,
If the Mullard CV4003 is too laid-back for you, the 12AU7 Mullard or Brimar longplate square getter is more dynamic, yet still has good warmth and sweet mids.
Post removed 
It is an expensive experiment. So far on preamp tubes, I've collected RCA D getter black plates, RCA Cleartops, Mullard CV4003, 70s Amperex/Mullards, GE 5 stars, Baldwin, Ciftes, and a couple others.  Fortunately, this has not been wasteful because all the tubes are very good and listenable.  They will eventually get use.  And, I do think there's something to be said for buying a $5k amp and not being pennywise pound foolish. 

Lowrider57, I have not tried those Bugle Boys.  They are a bit pricey, but I'll get them on my short list.  Maybe a birthday or father's day gift.  
Hi jb,

Can I ask what Pre-Amp/Power Amp you are using? I just had an interesting experience tube rolling. Rolled in 3 Psvane 12AX7-11 into my Vincent SA-T8. Wow! What an improvement. Sounded great with both my Vincent s/s SP-998 Mono Blocks & upgraded s/s Benchmark Plexus Power Amp. Immediately ordered a quad of Psvane 12AU7-11 to replace the "no-name" Chinese 12AU7's in the SA-T8. I switched on the Benchmark Power Amp. Yuk, way, way too bright sounding. I switched back in the Vincent Mono Blacks. Voila! Absolute magic! Dynamics, depth, soundstage etc. just exploded.

So, initially putting the 3 Psvane 12AX7's in the SA-T8 and both Power Amp & Mono Blocks sound really good. Then roll in 4 Psvane 12AU7's as well, (so all 7 tubes in Pre. are now Psvane) and when connect up Power Amp sound not so good but sound when Mono Blocks connected, awesome. Difference is staggering. Must be incredible synergy and non-synergy going on. I suppose some more experienced tube rollers would be able to relate some similar expriences.
@initforthemusic 

Sure thing. I'm using a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated. 

I have always had strong curiosity to try Vincent's products, like yours. They look so well designed and like Primaluna seem to offer great value