Tuner tragedy!

Curious question....

My beloved daily driver-66' Mac MR71 has suffered a tuner dial cable break!

Living in SoCal, I do have some repair options:George Meyer in LA and perhaps others.

Is restringing dial an absolute take it to the shop repair? Is there any online reference for a do it yourself job? I realize we, analog tuna guys are now a  dying minority!

Im now forced to listen to my $200 Cambridge Audio 550T. Its not bad, but it ain't the Mac!
I do like the remote and RDS display.

I know my ears will adjust in a few days, but I miss the almost real sound of the human voice/instruments and warmth only 13 tubes can provide. Amazing comparing the guts of the 25 pound Mac filled with components, with the 3 pound,1 board, made in China box.

tablejockey
Thanks for the insight. 

Im guessing the cable is original, do you know what material  is used? I will also consider the dental floss-unwaxed, I presume.

I'm almost positive that it's a polyurethane string and if you want to do it "correctly" take the old one into a fabric store and they'll set you up with a perfect replacement.  If you go with the dental floss, I actually think that the waxed versions are better since they are less prone to fraying and will be much easier to create a perfect knot.

Greg-

regarding your post of the Rush 2112 reissue.

Follow your gut... rock reissues, with the exception of unobtanioum, is to be avoided.

Through patience and persistence, bin diving rewarded me with  an unmolested period 2112 not long ago. As always with my findings, no punched up bass and overall "something’s not the same" feeling I ALWAYS get giving in and buying an overpriced, oversized black CD.

I will be boarding the"Thailand Express" at some point this weekend-cheers

Do a Google search for "vintage radio dial cord". It's available in different sizes, colors, and from many sources.

Also, here's a link to McIntosh Tuner service manuals. There's 2 different ones for the MR71 and both have a stringing diagram.

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/thumbnails.php?album=8&page=2

tls49-

Thanks for the information. I have reasonable DIY skills, and the diagrams are invaluable.

Im gonna put my fixit hat on and get'er done next weekend.