Harbeth C7ES3 vs Spendor SP2/3R2

I recently acquired some beautiful Harbeth C7ES3 stand mount speakers and some Sound Anchor stands.

I normally wouldn't purchase speakers unheard, but I went against my own advice this time and let all the internet hype sway my risky decision.

The Harbeths are currently in the break-in period, and so far I'm not terribly impressed. In fact, the only trait I prefer over my MA Silver 8s is the midrange tone, everything else is inferior thus far.

I realize that comparing some medium sized, metal cone floor standers to BBC style 2-ways is apples to oranges, but I was really hoping the Harbeths would captivate me, if by completely different merits. 

I hope that some break-in will change my view in the coming days. However, the dealer I bought these from claims that the Spendor SP2/3R2 might be the better speaker for my room and preferences. The Spendors are another $500 on top of the Harbeths which already stretched my budget.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone here has compared these two models and can give me some feedback.

I think I'd be very pleased with the Spendors if they offered better bass extension and dynamics over the Harbeths.

I know this is all subjective, but the dealers near me have trouble accommodating in-home trials. They're nice guys but very busy. 

helomech

No foam surrounds on atc...i went with atc 11 originally...cause i needed stand mount for smaller listening room...knowing myself i went up the rung to the 19...sound anchor’s stands.I have always wanted to try atc's and have never sat down with them...im nothing but happy I did...

These things are f’in amazing sounding...i dont know who is PR’ing bad press and bs...they must be deaf or have crap gear cause im sold on atc...done.

I don't know why I thought they used foam surrounds, something I thought I read somewhere. My local dealer didn't have any ATCs in stock.

I picked up the Spendors today. The Harbeths were just not cutting it. My first impressions will follow soon. 
Interesting...spenders are a great speaker...look forward to your impressions...
I'm about three hours into the Spendors. So far, these have the most amazing midrange I've ever heard in my system. In fact, it was about only 20 seconds into the first song that I realized these are something special. The dealer had some Spendor SP100s (older ones) in their showroom and these are sounding very similar. The bass started off somewhat anemic, but it's already improved significantly. These definitely have a warmer tone than the Harbeths, but despite this, they seem to have just a bit more detail. I prefer the imaging of these as well. They sound a bit less "open," than the Harbeths but they're somehow superior in performing the disappearing act. The midrange is simply captivating.

Also, the cabinets have the best veneer finish I've encountered, absolutely flawless!
You may like the polypropylene driver retro FM radio 80’s sound. Mission first started the great trend in this tyoe woofer. Polypropylene can be a bit nasal because of low resonance ringing (rigid drivers) but Spendor and others found ways to control that with the way the surround and voice coil are mounted.

Great to hear you found what works for you. I have an old pair of Energy Pro 22 - my first serious speaker - love that sound (Energy stitched the surround to the polypropylene cone and it worked well to limit resonance- although I can hear it compared to say ATC)