Is remastered mainly just less jitter?

When a  CD is remastered is it simply just less jitter???
128x128blueranger
Blue,

No. Jitter is usually considered an issue on the playback, but I suppose ADCs could also have it.

Read up on the mastering process. You start from raw recordings, with coughs, spits, excess breathing... and multiple tracks and boil it down to the record.

There’s also a final mastering step, where 2 tracks are adjusted based on particulars of an audience or LP master cutting lathe

A "re-master" can often be quite trendy, adjusting for changes in listener and speaker preferences over the years.

Here is a shorter, fun version to learn about the re-mastering done to "Kind of Blue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_p7Qbb_LAo

Best,

E

OTOH, the really early masters for CD are poor - if one were to avoid listening before buying maybe the 1990s would be the safest bet.

Re-mastering can use newer, better technologies; can remove some artefacts from say wow & flutter, can degrade the sound with compression, and can reflect personal preferences of the engineer or fads

Jitter is likely the least problem or benefit in re-mastering
Early CD really vary.

For some reason, Dark Side of the Moon was often sent around in analog master form, then was final-mastered at each CD pressing, so there are a number of different quality CD’s for the same recording out there. Then there is one VERY famous remaster that totally kills it dynamically and sound effects-wise.

Then there’s a lot of really crap sounding CD’s, especially in the early age of digital drums. Ugh.
I have had many Dark Side of the Moon's, none were great as the list shows, best was the vinyl.

I buy all my cd's s/h on ebay for a couple of bucks this way. I search then click on the issue with the most green, get the "catalogue number", and search it on ebay. 

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Pink+Floyd&album=Dark+Side+of+the+Moon

Cheers George
"Dark Side of the Moon ... there is one VERY famous remaster that totally kills it dynamically and sound effects-wise"

is that the one Barry Diament did?