XLR/RCA dilemma

With 5-series Ayre components, the idea of running balanced from disc player through preamp to amp is appealing, but it doesn't provide for bass management.  At the cost of interrupting that balanced link, I can add a bass manager that high-passes to a pair of KEF LS50s, a move claimed to improve their sound.  Is that likely to be a worthwhile tradeoff?

db

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
sfall, you've given me a lot to think about, and I thank you for it.

Not sure I buy the speed issue with the sub.  My post doc work was in binaural processing.  Wavelengths at 100 Hz are long, and detection of phase is generally a complex issue and I haven't followed the psychoacoustic literature for decades.  But I think I understand your point about using speaker leads to subs, if you have to have subs.  I haven't addressed the issue of subs for a couple of decades.

I don't use subs for music in my other setup comprised of a Parasound JC 3 phono stage, JC 2 preamp, and JC 1 monoblocks that drive a pair of KEF Reference 107/2s, but the 107/2s extend to 20 Hz nicely.  I like the sound of the LS50s, but I don't love it like I do that of the 107/2s.

A friend who does setup for manufactures at shows tells me he uses a Beveridge RM-3, high-passing to ESL 57s, low-passing at 100 Hz to woofers.  If I choose to go that way, he can help.

db 

Sfall - is completely correct. I’m using Vandersteen 5A’s with Ayre, and the 5A’s have amplified subs built in. Ayre can install any needed circuitry in your Ayre if desired.
"Not sure I buy the speed issue with the sub.  My post doc work was in binaural processing.  Wavelengths at 100 Hz are long, and detection of phase is generally a complex issue and I haven't followed the psychoacoustic literature for decades.  But I think I understand your point about using speaker leads to subs, if you have to have subs."

Unfortunately, my post doc work wasn't done in binaural processing. I couldn't even go because I was busy making huge, expensive mistakes in audio.

As far as the speed and matching issue goes, you just have to try it. One of the more difficult things about this hobby is that we sometimes respond to different aspects of a system. Success usually comes to those who are willing to get their hands dirty. All that means is that you compliment the learned portion of audio with experimentation and experinace. Hopefull, you'll have something that sounds good in the end.

Also, I have to admitt that I haven't been myself these last couple of weeks. Its an issue that's not audio related. Not long ago, I had some free time and I happened to stumble across the flat earth movement. Personally, I find it to be the most disturbing thing I've seen in my entire life. And I don't scare easily. These flat earther's make an audiophile with a handfull of expensive cables appear sane. Sorry to go off topic.
I'm on the second week of taper from the opiate, Norco follow spinal surgery a couple of weeks ago.

Would a pair of JL Audio E110s be a substantial step up form the Velodyne HGS-10s I've had for years?  I see they can accept speaker lead input.

db

Post removed