turntable/cartridge for old 50's 60's rock records.

cant afford vpi avenger reference.also,too complex
theoriginalthor1
There is no such thing as a cartridge that is better at rock than it is at some other form of music. The same is true of a turntable.
My (really quite serious) suggestion is whatever turntable and cartridge you have now with a Herzan active isolation platform under it (which should take care of your $10k)

installing a TS-150 underneath my EAR radically improved the solidity, pace and detail in my mono LPs, and of course also helped with stereo as well 😎

i find most audio equipment(systems) of today sterile!

i don't like heavy vinyls except to replace beat lp's which i can't obtain in good condition, they were made for cd heads!

many other posters  on other forums  agree with atmosphere.the debates go on for days!

I suggest you consider one of the new versions of the Technics SL-1200, either the SL1200GR ($2,000) or the SL1200G ($4000). Either is well within your budget. Here are my reasons:

• Most of the records from the ’50s and ’60s were originally played on idler drive turntables, which, with their high torque, present a propulsive, immediate sound. The Technics DD turntables have a similar high-torque sound.
  • Almost all LPs from the ’50s--and many from the ’60s--were in mono. The SL1200 series’ detachable headshell makes it very easy to switch from stereo to mono cartridge. In fact, I have a couple of stereo cartridges and a mono cartridge. Each one is mounted and aligned. When I change cartridges all I have to do is swap the carts’ headshells, zero out the balance and adjust the downforce.

I found that when playing the old style mono records, they often sound noisy with a sterero cartridge, but very quiet with a mono cartridge. The music has more impact and dynamics.

As for cartridges, for stereo I recommend the AudioTechnica AT150Sa, which has a Shibata stylus and sounds really good on modern mono reissues. The Shelter 201 is also good for vocals, rock, jazz, and pop. For mono, I have an AudioTechnica AT3MONO/LP, which is a high output moving coil cartridge with conical stylus. Sounds excellent for both vintage and modern reissue mono LPs. You can get it from LpGear for around $189 or on Amazon here for much less, which is what I did.
While I don't share your generalization of reissued and/or remastered LPs I do enjoy collecting vintage pressings. I suggest a high quality record cleaner then consider the deck. A good cleaning of a new reissue can be surprising.Â