How many shipments can audio equipment survive?

I’m sure many buyers and sellers on Audiogon have pondered this question. Assuming an audio component is otherwise very well cared for, how many times can it be shipped from one place to another before it gets damaged? I’m sure this depends on a number of factors:

• Quality of packaging: Some manufacturers have really well thought out packaging that keeps the components snugly cushioned in custom molded clamshells with double boxes. Perhaps there are even packaging techniques that I haven’t even seen that work really well. I have also seen some packaging, even for really high quality components, that is poorly constructed and will fall apart after one or two shipments. For something really substantial like speakers, I know some companies will sell you brand new packaging if you need it. I once got a quote of around $250 for some new speaker packaging, not including shipping fees. Definitely not cheap, but perhaps worth the money if you’re trying to sell some goods and don’t want to limit yourself to local-only transactions.

• Size and type of component. It seems to me that smaller electronic items the size of a large book would hold easily over multiple shipments. That just seems intuitive. In my mind, the most risky items would be big heavy amps (especially tubed) and speakers. Come to think of it, am I overly paranoid about that? Maybe high end audio components are more durable that I expect. In my mind, I picture internal parts like speaker crossovers, and amplifier circuit boards just popping loose eventually during a bumpy ride. Does that happen? If so, it would seem kind of silly given that so many high end components are extremely durable on the outside, perhaps even overbuilt.

I wonder how manufacturers think about this question when they ship their gear to audio shows all over the country, or perhaps even internationally. Do they sell off their gear at a discount after one show, or do they ship their stuff from place to place like “going on tour”? 

128x128blang11
It's hard to say exactly, but on average, I would round it off to say:

Noone has successfully shipped anything all the way across country. (Just a slight exaggeration. Very slight.)

Interesting question which is a by-product of the world-wide secondary market that the internet has facilitated.  I don't think the packaging is the only variable.  Leaving aside the gorillas at OOOOPS and the other guys, another variable is the way the piece is put together internally.  This is especially true with amplifiers with big and heavy power and output xformers.  I won't name names but some of the highly respected names don't appear to be cognizant of the interia a heavy piece can develop as it falls from one conveyor belt to another inside those high speed, multi-level sorting centers.  I've also seen large caps held in place with hot glue only.