XLR/RCA dilemma

With 5-series Ayre components, the idea of running balanced from disc player through preamp to amp is appealing, but it doesn't provide for bass management.  At the cost of interrupting that balanced link, I can add a bass manager that high-passes to a pair of KEF LS50s, a move claimed to improve their sound.  Is that likely to be a worthwhile tradeoff?

db

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Post removed 
Sounds like all you would need to do is invest in or borrow a cheap set of RCA cables to test it out. Let us know what you discover!
Thanks for the advice, Bob.  I have a Velodyne SMS-1 and I have the Jensen transformers for going through a KEF 107/2 KUBE that are sitting unused.  It makes a kluge to do that.  I'll see if I might find a used Bryston or or JL Audio unit.  I use a Bryston SP3 in my main setup.

yakbob, I'm a bit over a week from successful spinal surgery, so my efforts are limited to planning for a while.

db
Given my favorable experience with my Bryston SP3, I think I've found a 10B for about a $K that I'll add to my setup.  Bob, what crossover do you recommend for the LS50s?

db