Need help with Component vs. HDMI vs. DVI

I recently purchased a Sony XBR LCD 32” TV and am using the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Cable box (www.astound.net) I am using a component connection (5 wires) from the cable box to the TV. My retailer recommends that I change my cable connections to DVI output on the cable box to an adopter and then to the TV via HDMI. He states that with a component connection, the cable box will convert from digital to analog and the TV will convert back from analog to digital. He claims the picture on my Sony will be much improved using DVI through an adopter box (about $30) and then HDMI (to the TV).

He suggests I contact my cable company to determine if the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Cable box is available with a HDMI output since this would eliminate the adopter and the audio cables.

Should I switch from a component connection to the DVI to an adopter to the HDMI connection from the cable box to the TV? What are the advantages, picture wise, of changing my cables? Is the picture quality better with a HDMI connection than a DVI connection (with audio cables)? I do not have DVD player or receiver. Thanks..
hgeifman
I believe DVI and HDMI will look the same but your issue is really going through multiple conversions from digital to analog to digital (not a good idea). THAT'S what usually hurts the pictures since all converters are not the same.

Read the cable card section on my site for more on the conversions.http://www.greathometheater.com/CableCard.html

It's the same story for you - multiple conversions can degrade your picture.

HDMI carries sound and video. HDMI carries both.
You don't have to buy an adapter they make DVI to HDMI cables and Yes the picture will stay all digital this method and should look better.

On a side note the difference at that small size might not be worth it, so try to buy and return it if you don't like it.

On a projector the difference can be huge. Also it depends on how good the scaler is on your TV. If it is good then it won't make much of a difference.
There is no picture difference between HDMI and DVI except HDMI includes audio. In my opinion, on a 32" set, you will not see a noticable difference between component and DVI or HDMI.
Sony xbr34 910 here and have Pioneer cable box courtesy of Time Warner cable. Tried the hdmi set up and noticed there was an annoying "pause" every time I switched channels on the cable box. I complained to TW and they swapped boxes for me but same problem. Switched to component connection (cable box to tv) and no more problem. I bought a $150 Toshiba SD-5980SU DVD Player that "upconverts" dvd signals to 1080i and hooked it up to the Sony TV via hdmi. I'm not impressed with the picture. I also have a Pioneer DVD player and a Sony DVD player hooked up using "S" Video and find I like the picture quality of the the Pioneer and Sony better. Go figure! All this talk about what's better and my eyes are the final judge. Let your eyes be your judge and don't believe the hype! Just my opinion so please no flamers!
Sulloj: if your XBR34 is a Tubed TV then a digital connection is not the way to go, and upscaling won't necessarily buy you anything. Tube TV's are analog by nature so handing them a digital single and making them convert it back to analog is not the way to go. Stick with Component connections, and just because something offers 1080i doesn't mean it the best fit for your TV. Try 480i (your tv might have a better scaler) but if 480p looks better then your TV has a crappy scaler, trye 720p or 1080i depending on the preference of your tv.

I totally agree my Cox HD box didn't work over DVI to My projector but the Coax looks great (once I added a scaler others Cox Cable has been pretty poor looking) I run my DVD and my HTPC DVI, and my Cable and my Xbox over Component HD.