from Harbeth 30.1 to SHL5+, an upgrade or lateral move?

Hello,
I have a pair of 30.1 for a while and think it’s time to upgrade. I wish to upgrade to 40.1 but the budget does not allow. What I can afford is SHL5+. However, considering the price difference between the 2 pairs is very small but the specs show that SHL5 can go quite much lower, I wonder if moving from 30.1 to SHL5+ is an upgrade or lateral move?
Thank you!
Huy.

Ag insider logo xs@2xquanghuy147
I agree on many above and think that the shl5+ is like a 30.1 (wonderful midrange) but with deeper bass and more 3D feeling. I would want switch some day.
I'm shopping Harbeths actually too; after auditioning the 7s, 30.1, 40s, and SHL5+; I found much of the feedback in this forum to be spot-on.  I'm finding that selecting the "right" Harbeth to be really music, personal taste dependent. I listen to classic rock and really like the bass extension and treble of the SHL5+ compared to the other Harbeths, very noticeable.  I second the "sub" suggestion for consideration if you're satisfied with most of your music genres and the 30.1.
To Rossb: The type of music I listen to is classical , jazz, vocal, pop. I agree with you that 30.1 has a very refined and natural  midrange. However, I feel the urge to upgrade because the soundstage of 30.1 is not wide (it could be due to my small room: 12 x 15 feet) and contrabass in jazz sounds weak and thin, which makes the song does not have the necessary bass. 

Do you experience the same on your 30.1 pair? I am using Quad 99 and 909 for it. 

@quanghuy147
In that size room you should give a listen to the smaller P3ESR. Bigger is not always better. I've owned larger Harbeths and preferred the P3's in my smaller room!
@quanghuy147 It looks like you gotten some solid advice.  Per some earlier suggestions, why don't you try using a subwoofer first.  If you have audio stores that will allow you to audition at home, great.  If not, go to BestBuy or Crutchfield and try out one of their subs.  If you think it improve the sound and gets you closer to what you're looking for, keep it or consider buying a higher end like a REL or JL subwoofer. Many Harbeth owners use REL in their setup, just like @donjr.  It's a great combo.  I usually don't like the idea of buying something to return, but without any real brick and mortar shops to audition equipment, not much of a selection or not much of a choice.