Home cinema newbie questions...preamp advice

Hi,

Want to get a little 3 channel rig setup for christmas. I have Dali Euphonia MS4 speakers and a Belles 150A Hotrod power amp. I'm wondering what preamp to get...can i link my TV/LCD directly into a normal preamp or does it have to have some fancy home cinema setting or something?

Help..i am a home cinema virgin!!! :))

Richard
enjoy_the_music
Richard,

I agree with Bdgregory - forget the 3-channel idea and just go with 2. IMO, get a 2-channel pre-amp to connect to both the audio OUTs of your sat/cable receiver and DVD player. Connect the video OUTs of the sat/cable receiver and DVD player directly to the TV video inputs 1 and 2 (no audio connected to the TV and no video connected to the pre-amp). Be sure to set the sat/cable and DVD players' internal menus to default to "stereo". To answer the question "can i link my TV/LCD directly into a normal preamp?" The answer is don’t - just connect the TV directly to the video sources and use the pre-amp for audio only. Later on you can go one step further and add a powered subwoofer. In that case you could connect the pre-amp to the subwoofer (via RCA), then connect the subwoofer output to the Belles amp (also via RCA). This works great because both the main speakers and Belles are low frequency filtered – just the sub produces the bass. That is what I do for my AV system and it works wonderfully.

John
Any line output should be fine as a line INPUT into your receiver or preamp. I wouldn't think your sub would work well as you describe it unless you have a LOT of power to feed it. (Are you sure it isn't a powered sub?)

http://www.GreatHomeTheater.com
http://www.woodsgoods2.blogspot.com

Bob Wood
I disagree. The center channel on most 5.1 tracks is by far the most used. I think that for theater, the center is the most important speaker. Get a matching center and a sub and find another belles to power them both?
hi,

Yes i was going to use the 3rd channel to power the sub. I had no intention of using a centre channel speaker :)

If i have a multi-format spinner like a modded Sony 999ES can i run it to my TV and preamp line-in? Is this how it works?

Richard